Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Alsi Futures 11Nov10

HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Wiped out again. I suck at this. Caught the trend but made knee jerk trades. Second guessed my system! I need a job now or its bankrupcy proceedings next year!
0 Kudos
30 REPLIES 30
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
sorry to hear mate ..
0 Kudos
PaulC
Super Contributor
dude maybe alsi trading is not for you. Ive successfully LOST money trading the ALSI this year and in previous years on GT247. However Ive consistently MADE money (more than I lost on the alsi luckily) trading gold and comod shares. I understand what drives gold markets and to a lesser degree then base metal markets. My trades are weeks / months in length and I spend weeks / months in cash. If I tally up my wins vs my losers for the 2011 tax year Im up 35% YTD. Im sure many people would stick their nose up at that return but it a return and one thats outperformed all the mutual funds out there. My point is either you need to understand what you are trying to trade better or find a market you do understand. I got wiped out the first time I started this so I feel your pain. And although I now have a new "you will NOT trade the alsi" rule stuck to my screen I do enjoy your daily alsi posts. Best of luck -P
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Best place to a job is in Gauteng
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Yeah,buddy....I had that kinda feeling in 2007.Just couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong and then ....I looked in the mirror.There was the culprit looking back at me.EMOTIONAL TRADER.And the mantra is >>> Feel nothing. Be a machine.PLAN the trade completely, FIRST.Enjoy all the emotions you want at this stage.Because when you put your money down...all that stuff has left you.Or else ....### So, go look in the mirror,Dude.I came back from a near-wipeout.Go back to a slower swing-trading vibe.Those Futures are like Crack addiction.That's why I stay away from the day-trading thing.It churns the guts too much.Anyway...all the best,mate.Hope you can hang in there.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Simon can we introduce this `Like' feature as they have it on comments in Facebook! Good comment Zarp!!
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
find that is ...:)
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
I'm sorry for you, but in the same breath can't say I'm surprised for all the reasons I mentioned before. Good luck in finding a job. Stay away from the markets. The upside is that you haven't been so long away from the job market that you're completely out of it. I've made a decision not to try and get rich quickly through trading. Less is definitely more for me. Rather wait patiently for the high probability trades and execute them with a strategy and discipline while still concentrating on the real bread and butter money - wait for it.........salary. It takes a whole lot of stress off which makes trading a lot easier. Good luck.
0 Kudos
janne
Frequent Contributor
Can I come with 2 suggestions here HG. firstly, you need better tools. 15 minutes chart is too slow to react to alsi moves. Its like taking a hammer and chisel to repair your wall clock. it may work sometimes, but mostly not. Have at least 3 MAs, I use 4,7 and 11 periods. Macd and stoki are also essential indicators. Secondly, you should try to move away from candlesticks if it does not work for you. It didnt for me either in 5 years I did use it; creates too much confusion in following a trend visually. It was good for rice trading in 16 century, so try now plain line instead. See me next time you pass through Westville, we can talk 0312660598.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Both alsi and dow trading in triangles at the moment.short opertunity on alsi down to 28000 and then long again.Anybody agree on this?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
My latest lesson is to take breaks. There are lots of opportunities on the market, most of which one doesn't even realise. So take breaks.
0 Kudos
Levitt
Regular Contributor
@HG , Sorry to hear, maybe take a nice long holiday and come back in the new year? Taking a decent break really helps sometimes, clear your mind of things..
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
your 15 minute comment is totally baeless .. I have only ever traded on 15 min for ALSI .. anything shhorter was all just noise to me ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hi Wiz....one of the 2006 Mad-forumites/veterans and still trading.Good one.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Simon with the current correction we having over the last days do u think the 15 min timeframe would work?It feels to me that as soon as u get a signal the trend is about to change again.Also the 50 trailing stop might cut u out unless your timing is perfect. Have u traded on your system during this correction?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
well I would ask what correction ?? ALSI been in a 200 point range recently .. thing is no system works 100% in all market types .. we have to stop the fear of scarcity and move to comfort of plenty .. we will miss some trades .. we will have losing streaks .. that's all part of trading
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
an no I haven't traded since tuesday as I been traveling .. but even an eyeball tells me it would be net down for last 2 days .. but that's trading, draw downs are part of the deal ..
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
I had a bad one back then. I had stunning 05-06 season.then that rubbish caught me out. We were always right.just the timing was off.everything started happening end 07'
0 Kudos
Not applicable
U got a short signal now about 6 bars back.Am i correct?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos