Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Alsi Futures 17Sept10

HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Nice gap today.
0 Kudos
33 REPLIES 33
earlyret
Regular Contributor
Yip. Morning HG.A new short for you?
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
14:30 Consumer price, 15:55 Consumer sentiment. (Jonno you were right about the times yesterday I got confused.)
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
I'm stoopid, still got my old short. The Dow is struggling to break the 10600 level.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Yeah, Simon set me straight with the times. HG, just out of curiosity what % of capital are you risking per trade? I am also thinking of going fulltime trading in the next two years once I build up my capital. Any advice?
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
The proper way is the 2-6% rule but thats not going to make you rich unless your starting capital is a million or more. As a small timer, I went all in. Made big and lost big!
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
well no, 2/6 rules work well enough with R100k .. and without risk management you ain't ever gonna get get rich anyways .. so tis moot ..
0 Kudos
earlyret
Regular Contributor
now if it could just be Made big and lost not so big!!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I agree, 5% growth every month is 60% per year..... that's 6 to 10 times what your fixed deposits will pay you these days. Getting rich takes time, getting wiped out takes a few seconds. Like good wine and ladies you take your time you get better results ;-)
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Dow futures above 10600
0 Kudos
Not applicable
HG - do you actually have a system? because to me it sounds like you are operating on blind faith - pardon me if it sounds like critisism, because it is not, just an observation.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
No system and certainly no faith. I work on whats known as a strategy. A stregy incorporates systems so I can incorporate many systems into a strategy including gaps, lazy, trendlines, chart patterns, etc. When I get everything lined up making 100% gains per week compounded is very easy (and I've done it - ok 85%). Recently in the past few weeks, my psycology has been totally messed up to the point where I do things opposite to what my strategy says so. My strategy says that I should be out of this market just watching and waiting but here I am losing money again.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
HG - I suggest you study the principle of drawdowns on your portfolio. If you are trading 1 system - and lets give you a generous 50% chance of success with it. Then the chances of say 4 successive failures are pretty low (12.5%). If you now trade 2 systems you increase your number of 4 failures to 25%. 4 Systems and you have a 50% chance of a string of 4 failures. This is an illustrative example. The point I am trying to make, is that the more systems you have in your strategy, the more drawdowns you will have on your capital. And the real problem with drawdowns, is that traders think they are wiped out at 0 - nothing could be further from the truth. A trader gets wiped out at the point of no return - which as a statistical point where your trading capital is no longer sufficient to absorb the potential losses inevitable in all systems. So either cut down on your systems - or allocate a portion of trading capital to each - and treat each as a portfolio, with its own 2/6 exposure rules
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Scored on the gap close?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
gap hasn't closed yet ??
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Well it closed now.... Looking at Chartists videos he advises to exit a certain % of points before the official close. So I only made 60 points on it once it broke through the ambush zone. That guys videos really help me. I hope he makes more.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
CPI - unimpressive.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
unimpressive ?? DJ futures moved from +20 to +33 .. and considering the panic is either hyper inflation or deflation, flat is good ??
0 Kudos
Levitt
Regular Contributor
Bring on the QE, we can deal with the inflation later..
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
I see the FTSE is also looking like a sinking ship intraday but US is expencted to open high.
0 Kudos