Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Alsi Futures 28Oct10

HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Yup, moms not doing too well, brother's in China and was recently evacuated due to an earth tremor. I shouldn't be trading under these circumstances but things are lining up nicely for the HG's aggro bear i.e. my bigger strategy. This pullback is annoting, coz I also want to catch the intra day movements within my larger strategy but not fatal as yet.
0 Kudos
Mar-11
Super Contributor
haha, just mentioned these cause they were mentioned in TA.. but if ur stop is just above triple top what is ur exit??cause if you entered yesterday afternoon, lets say at 26770. Risk = 27346-26770 =576.... the target on triple top =26190 profit = 26770-26190=580. giving risk:reward ratio of 1:1.....doenst seem worth it to me.... unless ur target well below 26190
0 Kudos
Electrox
Super Contributor
lets get this on the right track...NO strategy or pattern in this world can predict the future event you trying to profit/loose from. understand that all that you know is 1, where you stop is 2, trade the your method consistently till it proves it does not work, 3, after you get your signal dont watch the chart anymore unless the method you trade tells you to move your stoploss. 4. never think you know. hope this helps
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Thanks for the risk analysis, must admit that I never looked at approaching it that way, so i learn something new today. My exit is at 26190. I'm not sure of what the probability for downside is (from a triple top) but its better than 50:50, so I trade based on that. I would use this probability to augment your 1:1 risk reward ratio.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Apologies . . . stop is above the tops of the triple top which means closeout.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Exit is at the resolution of the triple top 26190.
0 Kudos
Mar-11
Super Contributor
i agree that the that 26190 has a higher probabilty of being hit than a positive breakout of triple top(at this moment in time). but if she breaks clear above 27000-(i say around 27040), for me and the way i interpret the TA, then yesterdays low was a false breakout and no triple top confirmed.....and this level as a stop also gives u a better risk:reward ratio..... just my opinion and somje of the things i look at before entering a trade.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
I've heard of pivot points but couldn't find a decent enough explanation when I googled. How do they work?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Simon explain to me the purpose of the marketmaker.Where does he operate from and can he not change the trend wrongly.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I vote this for TOTY (Topic Of The year) This is interesting, educational, informative and usable information! Respect to the SBK forum members.
0 Kudos
Mar-11
Super Contributor
babypips.com i think the site is called.....gives pretty good explanation along with how to calc for currency pairs..... does any one know if the equation the same the stock indexs??
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Thinking about it; just by their nature both H&S and double/multiple top patterns give 1:1 risk:reward ratios and these are the most reliable chart patterns. Would these odds get better?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
market maker just takes an underlying price, runs it through the formula and then ouutputs a bid/offer whhich they then trade the derivative or what ever at .. they don;t move markets, they enable liqudity ..
0 Kudos
Mar-11
Super Contributor
we mixing up risk:reward rato, and probality of target hit:stop hittin... ur risk:reward after taking into effect transaction costs, and the probability that when ur stop is reached ur price is not machted, is below 1:1.... but you are argueing that their is a better chance of 1:1 that ur target will be reached: before stop loss.( based on multipul top formations) My maths is not awesome but if you had to calc ur expected profit im sure it would be 0 or just below.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
It takes the most powerful governments in the world to change the trend wrongly!
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
HG, you can't trade a multi year HS pattern using an intra-day short term product that expires in the next 45 days ..
0 Kudos
Mar-11
Super Contributor
even if above arguement is correct( ie.that u have better than 1:1 chance of winning trade)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
becoz one will wipe out ..
0 Kudos