Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Alsi day traders

quovadis
Frequent Contributor
What are the preferred time frames of the charts which members use to day trade the Alsi (5 min charts etc)? Also, are there any thoughts on the benefits (if any) of using tick charts (such as 89, 144, 233 etc)?
0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
Not applicable
I use the 233 on the ftse and works free well ... electrox has started using it on the alsi
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
I use the 15 min for a trend, and the 5 min for a trade .... no point in ticks. That said ... who's trading todays gap, since we have (on my system) a confirmed change in trend to the down-side ... wonder if todays gap will close - and then, should the close be an entry level for a short, or should I trade a long on the gap-close? What's the other day-traders thinking? JOOOOHHHN ... ARE YOU STILL LOOONG ??? :-) lol.
0 Kudos
Electrox
Super Contributor
The tick chart is used to close out the overnight noise... so for the alsi i dont think its that much of a use... works very well on the leading markets though......
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
I use it on leading markets too.
0 Kudos
Electrox
Super Contributor
Saash do u have a email? I got something to ask u? thx
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Hi Saash. Which software package do you use? Who provides the live data, is it via OST live streaming? I hate it when everyone talks about gaps that I can't see because I'm using a daily chart.
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Date night number 2 coming up? Saash I have not traded for over 2 months now. Just been to busy and to distracted with other things. Not opened the chart but if you have a trend change that is often highlighted by an unclosed or more likly a partial closure.. so without having seen todays price action you can trade the gap but dont be greedy or wait for it to close and go short on any sign of weakness. that is if your trend change signal still stands. Please remember I have not looked at todays chart.
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
Number 3, John .... 1,2,3 .... !
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Well you know what happens with number three..
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
Well we're in a nice squeeze now ...
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
LOL.. sounds like it is going to be a good long week end... see you guys on tuesday... I am off.
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
No man ... that trade was too quick!
0 Kudos
quovadis
Frequent Contributor
Hennie & Electrox. Thx for your input. Would you be willing to let me have your email addresses?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos