Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Alternative to Price Streamer please

webster_1
Frequent Contributor
Could anybody please give me an interim solution to PS to at least see a live market?
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Not applicable
A reuters terminal? Price vs reliabilty...
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Looking at the frequent red thumbs down and comments on the forum, I havn't bothered to get price streamer. At the last course, that I attended, the presenter mentioned something about an alternative comming along but didn't give too much info on the timeframe.
0 Kudos
webster_1
Frequent Contributor
Thanks for the feedback. I am been told for two years a new product is coming out. and [even] if been told by an OST director in January 2010 that a new product is going to be available in "two or three months" I am more than hesitant to believe him - I am not believing him....
0 Kudos
Picky
Regular Contributor
Webster, also had problem for 2 days, changed my browser to firefox and its working, hope this helps
0 Kudos
webster_1
Frequent Contributor
Thanks - I am on Firefox - will go through all the motions again later to try and clean up everything again. But why can a problem like this just 'happen' on the client side when other programs / websites = 100%?
0 Kudos
webster_1
Frequent Contributor
They way this product is supported by OST - and the numerous times I am told by so many at OST that this is a 3rd party product shows that not much will be done to support this product now or in the future (and not much responsibility is therefore taken). It is a shame that with so much technology available we cannot get a proper solution - or at least a clear roadmap. But through this I see no strategy and very little forward direction to offer anything more...maybe the expectation of something substantial more than PS (and its support) is too high...OMO
0 Kudos
PROPPIES
Not applicable
Try Sharenet's Quickstream, works for me
0 Kudos
Not applicable
OST is taking the chart out of chartist. that and gets you IST (incompetent share trading)?? and not OST.
0 Kudos
Alibaba
Contributor
Question... Quickstream costs about four times more than OST Price Streamer. Is it four times better? Does it justify the investment? Any thoughts on this out there?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
So it still is price vs reliability.... I trust you read the conditions and terms when you took PS as an option. Third party supplier and no claims or control over these services etc etc.

Remember they are merely linking you to a provider of information at a rate comiserate with its offering. If you want guaranteed service pay for a dedicated JSE link!! If you typically expect everything fantastic for paying next too nothing, even the best 99% uptime guarantee is useless if there is a "technical" issue between you and the service provider, ie, telkom lines, ISP data fragements, routing/access issues etc etc....

Even in developed countries that you want to compare SA too you pay a premium for these types of services.

Maybe the easiet solution is getting a job at a stockbrokerage firm ;-)
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
make no mistake, best is Bloomberg, Reuters close behind .. cost is $1800 per month and on top of that you have to add exchange fees .. new PS in final internal beta stages ..
0 Kudos
webster_1
Frequent Contributor
Thank you for the feedback. Thank you for the first clear roadmapping Simon...
0 Kudos