Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Am I going to cry or breathe relief

Not applicable
I never cry about taking a loss, it is just a loss. But I do cry when I miss an opportunity - because they don't come around too often, and they are the biggest mistakes you can make (apart from not setting stoplosses, of course). So now I am waiting to see if I am going to cry about missing an opportunity on Monday last week, or breathe a sigh of relief. Admittedly, a rally from here would constitute a kangaroo tail (for those who know what that is) and kangaroo tails are extremely rare. But is it worth sitting out, considering the off chance that we will not return to these levels? I don't think so. The moral of the story - never miss an opportunity. At worst, you get stopped out - but the feeling of remorse for missing out is far greater than the dissapointment of taking a loss.
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
skaap .. indeed .. missing out always the worst, coz we can always manage the risk but how often do we get an opportunity ?? I did some shopping for my long term portfolio Monday, but that said I nt convinced we won't see those prices again .. Not in the short tewrm, maybe not even this year, but in time ?? Spose tat is what an opportunity is, we don;t know if it'll come again so we havew to grab them when they do ..
0 Kudos
Terra
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Trouble is,we are never certain of an opportunity until it has happened.This might be a good shorting opportunity right now,or it might be an opportunity to go long.Who knows?
0 Kudos
Terra
Super Contributor
Hindsight is a perfect science...it must have been fear....
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
yes .. no .. maybe .. know what consistutes a buy or sell and when it arrives act on it .. my two bigish buys where KIO and BIL who where on massively low PE's compared to 5 year PE data and I remain a commodity bull .. so my metrics said buy .. if they went lower was still good value buys for my longer term portfolio which is where I was buying ..
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
I'm very cautiously long. The prices have been affected by a short-term panic but they still reflect lower expectations and higher risks. The market was definitely too rich considering the plethora of issues we face.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Dudes just go to the P&F chart of the FTSE.it's on a BUY signal.Resistance 5449.So ALSI can bully her way to a +27000 high.I'm covering and shorting at 27000.I,m on my 3rd Rose' ....I notice that the lawn needs mowing.
0 Kudos