Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Amazon Kindle

mwk
Frequent Contributor
Has anyone here purchased a Kindle?
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
barry_1
Super Contributor
i think Simon owns one,seems he is very satisfied ,ask again tomorrow.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ya, an tis awesome .. BUT I am struggling with what I can buy .. Initially I fooled amazon into thinking I was a yankee, but in SA, so had access to everything .. then that stopped and what I could buy shrunk hugely .. so now I just use a proxy server and they think I yankee again ..
0 Kudos
warhippo
Super Contributor
Really enjoy and very practical and handy to travel with. (There are still books however that you would physically like to have in your library - "to touch" and want somebody to share with you.) But would recommend the Kindle anytime!
0 Kudos
mwk
Frequent Contributor
So then y'all have the 3G version? And there are limitations on what can be bought if not a Yank (e.g., subscriptions and/or books)? And is it possible to load up OST?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
if you not yankee what you can buy is limited .. publishing works on an Atlantic split, so lots is not avaliable for africa .. an the browsing is possible (just), but don't think of it as a tablet, it isn't ..
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
That's interesting. I've bought a lot on the iPhone Kindle app, and haven't found one book I can't buy yet - I didn't even know they were restricting it! What types of things were restricted?
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
With out revealing too much,can you give us an idea Simon,what is a proxy server and how does one set one up? Thanks
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
your PC broadcasts an IP address which identifies you and as such your country .. a proxy server spoofs that IP address so it looks like you are in the US ..
0 Kudos
mwk
Frequent Contributor
It's not so much that you have to be a yankee* - isn't it really where you are geographically? IOW, if one is not a Yank, but happens to be in North America, one has more purchasing options - at least that's my understanding. (*BTW - I'm from the USA, but don't ever call someone from North Carolina or Georgia a yankee - they are rebels!)
0 Kudos
warhippo
Super Contributor
Interesting experiences. I bought mine in USA with an Amazon US acc. If when I am there I make use of "whispernet." If in any other country I must download to PC and then to Kindle (- maybe still older tech.) However if I log onto my Amazon acc. anywhere in world I have access to all the available books. (these tech details have changed so much over last year and could be much easier lately?) There are quite a few sites to go for more books and a lot for free - Read: "Free Books for your Kindle" by Bufo Calvin
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
amazon have a list of free kindle books, I have download about a hundred of them .. mostly royality free classics ..
0 Kudos
EyeNvest
Contributor
Have bought a kindle after a friend bought one and then one for his wife. works great just make sure you are in an area with signal. went touring in the bush- no signal no new book! downloaded to laptop and desktop as well - great when the missus is reading shared kindle. with the strong rand may buy another.
0 Kudos