Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

An Average TA Question That'll Move You...

DCTrader
Super Contributor
When doing TA... What moving averages do you guys favour? Obviously certain long term averages like 200 days is pretty standard, but for short term decisions? 15/65? 12/26? And what's the reasoning behind your choice? Thanks
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Tango
Super Contributor
I like a 22-EMA on any chart period to give me short-term trend. Also, I use % bands around the 22-EMA to give me a reading of where a share is in it's 'normal' trading range. I adjust them by eye until only the tips of the range touch the bands. I don't use MA cross-overs at all.
0 Kudos
cfm
Super Contributor
Lately, I've been playing with 5/15/50 period EMA. The 15 period EMA is the important one, with the other two giving an indication of shorter and longer trends.
0 Kudos
kr_pto
Super Contributor
i've been trying Simons (more specifically some guy in Oz's) primary trend technique of 35, 40, 45, 50 and 60 day MAs, seems to be good way to monitor primary trend. when the lines get all mangled, time to beware, when nicely up, bull trend, opp for bear.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Anybody NOT MA's? Just askin becaws I don't. I only follow price - buy on support (or resistance for short)and sell at resistance (and vice versatile for the otherway around) if it fails to trade on through. Use only end of day price as my guide, but will sometimes execute based on last hour's trading pattern. So far, its worked good, but maybe I'm missing something in ignoring MA's, so be innerested to hear if someone else doesn't use'm.
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
I only use them as an indicator of trend. Helps me decide where the easier money is. I don't use them for any signals, and I don't use MA crosses.
0 Kudos
cfm
Super Contributor
I use MA for filters and for running scans. Not as fixed trading rules.
0 Kudos