Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

An interesting overview..from MM

john_1
Super Contributor
The JSE all share index (20582) fell yesterday for the first time this week. The index had been rising but is still well shy of the key 22000 resistance level (it is a downward-sloping line and has fallen from 22200 since we last discussed it). Technically, we need to see a close above 22000 to end the downtrend started last May. As the index remains below this level, the bear trend remains intact and we are limited to viewing rallies as short-term counter-trend moves which are unlikely to be sustained. Sector-wise, our favourite picks are beverages, retailers, gold (see chart above) and healthcare and pharmaceuticals (see the chart of Netcare (870c) on page 2). We expect further gains, and outperformance, by these sectors. On a daily basis, there are still more new lows than new highs; more new relative lows than relative highs; more declining shares than advancing ones; greater volume on down days than on up days; fewer sustained rises than sustained falls; and so on. In other words, the bulk of the technical evidence is still overwhelmingly bearish even though the all share index has made some near-term gains. We expect further tests of the 22000 level but will need to see a break above this before we'll even contemplate an improvement in all the other indicators. JSE gold. The index has risen to test an important threeyear old resistance level. A weekly close today above the line would give a strong new technical buy signal.
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Not applicable
Ja, I don't know - it is really difficult to get any kind of direction right now. Hence my post on whether anyone is making money this year. To me, it looks like we have an inverse flag on the ALSH weekly - a continuation pattern. Thing is,IMO the JSE reacts too heavily to wall street & the FTSE. If we are going to make calls, we need to do them on these two markets
0 Kudos