Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

An open letter to Richard - head of SFM

john_1
Super Contributor
Fair enoungh. I only meant from your point of view.
0 Kudos
jcpenny
New Contributor
Thanks C for waking me up to the fact that so called experts PHD's etc that makes reccomendations on a well regarded financial channel is not making sense. I have no clue as to TA and therefore rely on other people to make sense out of the technical stuff. I could have been duped into bying SSF's in DRD two months ago at 7 and this would most probably wiped me out. This forum has however given me a feel for his "superman" advice and I do not watch Summit anymore. Have done nicely in terms of returns other than one costly mistake on GFI when I did not heed advice. I much rather listen to people who invest their own money in their calls than those who make their money from their calls. I need your analysis eg. Chartist, Simon and the others to confirm my own views or not. Long live C
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I think this illustrates the point I was trying to make to Richard more eloquently than any amount of words I could use....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
yes i agree Chartist is a source of good help and valuable information - Chartist gets my vote!
0 Kudos
dimitri_1
Occasional Contributor
You seem to be a support/resistance trader who trades a defined trend, and you seem to live by this, dishing out advice in a bull market which we've been in since 2003 or so, which historically anyone can do and make money over time. Some people are contrarian traders who sell that trend which you buy. At the end of the day, it's up to the individual to buy or sell whatever and whenever he wants. Unless Roffey is a registered financial advisor, don't know if technical analysts need to be, your case against him will probably not stand, and he'll probably win a defamation case. Do you honestly think that the head of SFM didn't consult his legal department about your posts before he called you. Personally, I'm not an R fan, never have been and never will be. My advice to you would be to tuck your tail, bow your head and make a public apology. But then again, I'm not a legal man, so my advice is just my opinion. Perhaps you should stop this pissing contest with Roffey, realise that if your friends or anyone else on this forum can't make up their own minds about a trade, they should not be messing about with the markets, and count what they lost as a lesson in what not to do.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Dimitri, you make some valid points... I do just want to add that my complaint against Roffey to TASSA was born out of geniune belief that he has caused people to lose money through his unqualified advice and the false claims he makes. Before I made contact with TASSA and made a submission to them I wrote a friendly letter to Clive seeking clarification on some of the reasons for the calls he was making. All I received as a response was a derogatory remark to the effect that I was a chat room know it all. I do not seek any compensation or reward nor will I be making a legal case against him...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
People never loose their pride. Even when they loose their sanity to age(to become senile). Did you never hear of the little technical analyst that could? He was in the old peoples centre....dishing out advice to all the nurses that cleaned him. They all made millions, & he ascended into heaven. the end
0 Kudos
dimitri_1
Occasional Contributor
I understand that, but you need to realise that in life, you need to pick your fights very carefully, especially when it comes to making public comments about people without knowing for certain that you can win a court action that could be brought against you.
0 Kudos
webster_1
Frequent Contributor
Chartist - I recommend you take your issues to the national open media (if you did not indeed do that by now). As a trader and investor I support this forum for objective commentary. I hear your plea and urgency for fairness and being heard. However I support Standard Bank in their current actions / support / maintenance of this open forum. And at the end of the day every trader and investor should be able to decide for him / her self. Not wanting to take that responsibility I suggest individuals get a money / asset management corp to invest and trade on behalf of them. Regards Webster
0 Kudos
dimitri_1
Occasional Contributor
my above comment was meant for chartist, not a reply to chris' children's story.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Mr C... it would be sad to see a man with your potential for TA wasting it away... it seems like you have a lot of faith and confidence in yourself and your abilities and are well respected on this forum... harness it and show us how big (minded) you really are.. I empathise the distress you feeling... let use this opportunity to help, improver and grow... not only ourselves, but all those around us...
0 Kudos
Ginny
Contributor
As previously stated, I have over time gained a tremendous amount of valuable insight and info from Chartist's input - his sharing of time and knowledge for no personal gain invaluable. Chartist, hope you will continue regardless.
0 Kudos
Nick_1
Frequent Contributor
I am in all honesty speechless! Not at any stage did the removed posting threaten SFM or anyone else. This is a platform that should be open and to be used by the members as they see fit. ONLY if another member file a complaint with SFM, and ONLY after SFM reviewed such a complaint can action be taken to remove a post. I stand fully behind SFM on removing the plug-post, I stand absolutely behind C against removing the Roffey-post!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I am very dissapointed in SFM for their stupid removal of your posting. After all, people need not read your postings re Roffee if they think them irrelevant or incorrect. But, judging by the large number of replies to this issue, this is not the case. Let the people decide. I personaly will be distgusted if this churlish action of SFM forces you to no longer use this forum, & I think SFM will be the looser in the longer term.
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
A think a little perspective is needed. SFM has chosen for whatever reason to remove the thread. I am no Roffey fan, and in fact have been in direct contact with him in the past criticising his behaviour. But like it or not the forum belongs to SFM, they read every post that goes up, and can choose whether they want to host this particular public tussle or not. I am certain that posts along the lines of 'Roffey made another bad call last night, actually XYZ looks like it should be sold because blah blah' would not be deleted. They have never been deleted in the past. That particular thread was starting to head into dangerous legal territory. Chartist, SFM may have done you a favour by removing defamatory comments from a fairly public forum. But IANAL.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Forgetting the C vs R issue...censorship of opinions in a forum is just plain wrong. I participate in many forums on many subjects and have slagged off Telkom, Virgin Money, Vodacom, Microsoft, ANC, even StdBank...in fact anyone who happened to be p#$$ing on my battery at the time...and I have never been censored. I have been shot down, ridiculed and ignored by other forumites...but that is the nature of an "open" forum...and hopefully with enough input by enough people the "truth" emerges. Forums are like the American jury system. You are public tried by your peers. Back to the C vs R issue...R should climb into the debate or better still make 10 public predictions for the upcoming year and let's see if 8 are right.
0 Kudos
kr_pto
Super Contributor
MBoy, that sounds like a fair challenge to me and an easy way to settle the dispute (at least for this year!). Watch this space...
0 Kudos
kr_pto
Super Contributor
MBoy, that sounds like a fair challenge to me and an easy way to settle the dispute (at least for this year!). Watch this space... Interesting that the text above states "Standard Financial Markets exercises no control over the subject matter or content of this chat group and accepts no liability whatsoever for the content thereof. " ... interesting definition of "no control".
0 Kudos
Not applicable
In response to the postings made, Standard Financial Markets advise that the posting that were withdrawn we done so solely for the reasons advised to Chartist telephonically and in terms of the conditions to which use of this chat site is subject. As this has now also become the subject of various subsequent postings it has been decided that these reasons would be set out for the participants of the chat site, however in so doing it must be noted that Standard Financial Markets does not express any opinion or view as to the content of such postings.

The reasons underlying such withdrawal relate to the nature of these postings, which as a few participants have noted are very serious and refer to an identifiable individual, whilst the chat site allows such postings to be made under a user name which is not disclosed to those accessing the chat site. Neither Standard Financial Markets nor any of the participants have the necessary authority to address such issues it is not the appropriate forum. The respective parties are encouraged to take the issues to the regulators who are in turn empowered to take whatever action is necessary following due consideration of all the facts and circumstances. Addressing such issues with the appropriate forum will ensure that they don't just remain a view or opinion expressed on a chat site and that a determination can be made to address any conduct which is found to be harmful or contrary to any of the rules and regulations governing this industry.

The withdrawal of the postings are not meant to censor any of the participants but rather to ensure that such issues are taken to the appropriate forum for their resolution and that in turn the chat site itself is not shut down by external parties as a result of inappropriate postings thereby resulting the ultimate censorship of a forum which has from the various postings provided a valuable forum for discussion.

Please note, as set out in the terms and conditions, that the views and opinions expressed on the chat site are not those of Standard Financial Markets nor do we endorse or refute any of those views by either allowing them to remain or withdrawing them from the chat site. All participants are reminded of the terms and conditions governing the use of this chat site and should any use of the chat site be found to be contrary to such terms, that the right of access of any party to this chat site may be cancelled.
0 Kudos
liquid
Contributor
I'd like to note that deleting a thread and shutting down a whole site has a striking similarity - what is it? I'll spell it out ... c-e-n-s-o-r-s-h-i-p....
0 Kudos