Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Anggold - bad performance over the past year

Werner_1
Super Contributor
Can someone enlighten me as to why this share sucked so much over the past year or 2? I didnt follow this one much but see a 54% drop over the past year and today a 10% rise? whats up with it?
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
oh yes, obviously, that came down nicely...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
you are asking why a gold miner hasn't made any money? I think I had a post some time ago - about how the stuff they pull out of the ground these days is around 3% gold, 2% uranium and 95% rock. And since it isn't really gold they dig up, but some gold alloy infused chemical stuff that I wasn't really paying attention to in my chemistry 101 class, they have to dissolve it first. Cyanide, i think is the chemical of choice, which leaves a lot of explaining to do to the communities afterwards as to why their kids can't play on the newly formed mountain consisting of the crushed rock infused with cyanide and other wonderful chemicals - they actually have a biological department that would make Monsanto jealous - working on genetically modifying plants to actually grow on these things - does anyone know that? Oh yes, throw striking miners, Eskom and a staggeringly unstable gold price (rand gold price nogal) into the mix
0 Kudos
Not applicable
sorry, those figures are incorrect - 3grams per ton, that is about 0,003% gold per ton of rock
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
thanks skaaptjop, thanks for the nice explanation! i don't really like mining companies as investments, i think i can find more interesting, stable and high growth prospects with other industries.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
RAMS does. He was punting AGL a while back.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
hopefully he was careful, it looks like it had a great downfall over the past year...
0 Kudos