Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Anglo Gold

Ninja
Super Contributor
What a slide....any relief in sight???
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
john_1
Super Contributor
the end comes when you sell, the quicker you sell a losing share the less pain you have to take.. I heard of a straterdy were the guy bought a share if it was negative on the day he bought he would sell if positive he would hold. He outperformed the index doing that. it is a very simple but effective stratergy.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
I heard of another guy that was buying when the shares were going down...using other peoples money and basicaly never selling...his name is W. Buffet ;)
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
this is were every "value" investor gets it wrong, he did not buy falling shares. He bought shares when nobody else would.. there is a big diffrence.. every newbie buys when they are falling and thinks he is smart only to realize how stupid that was.. value is when all the "long term holders" give up hope, nobody is buying, thats when Buffet and the boys come to play. This, this is just a little blip.
0 Kudos
YNWA
Super Contributor
RIP::John Templeton....one of the greatest.....and hows this for stratergy...iAfrica: " While standard stock-buying advice is "buy low, sell high", Templeton took the strategy to an extreme, picking nations, industries, and companies hitting rock bottom, what he called "points of maximum pessimism"....http://business.iafrica.com/features/1022840.htm......and this is how he started.....big big titainium kahones amigo......Sharenet: ""I want you to buy me a hundred dollars' worth of every single stock on both major exchanges that is selling for no more than one dollar a share." The broker might have refused the order, which was a nightmare to execute and a most unsatisfactory way to earn a negligible commission, except that Templeton had worked for him as a trainee two years earlier. After a while he reported that he had bought Templeton a hundred dollars' worth of every stock on either exchange that was no entirely bankrupt. "No, no," said Templeton, "I want them all. Every last one, bankrupt or not." Grudgingly the broker went back to work and finally completed the order. When it was all over, Templeton had bought a junkpile of 104 companies in roughly $100 lots, of which 34 were bankrupt. He held each stock for an average of four years before selling. The result was no joke at all: he got over $40 000 for the kit - four times his cost. Some of the transactions were startling. He bought Standard Gas $7 Preferred at $1 and sold at $40. He bought 80 shares in Missouri Preferred - in bankruptcy at twelve cents and eventually sold out at $5. (It eventually went over $100: had he sold at the top, that particular $100 would have turned not into $4000, but $80 000) A singular aspect of this transaction was that Templeton didn't have $10 000 in cash. He was convinced that stocks were dirt cheap, and that of them all the neglected cats and dogs selling for less than $1 were the best values. When the war started in Europe he reasoned that, if anything, it was going to pull America out of its economic slump, and virtually all stocks would rise. So he had gone to his boss and borrowed the entire amount.".....http://www.sharenet.co.za/v3/der.php. Adios
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Luck is so underated....
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
lol wow, maybe i should try that :-)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Gold has been pretty lack luster for a pretty long time and this despite the increasing incomes in countries like india, thinking about this
0 Kudos