Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Anglo at 287

Blik
Super Contributor
Anglo at 287 on a PE of 7.3 - is this not ripe for a mid term buy? Anglo could be back at 380 in a year surely????
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
Last monday I bought AGL (along with SAB,BIL,SOL,CLS, ABL)for my long term portfolio and also on CFD's.Then I was accused of trying to catch a falling knife, and as I said then,and I repeat I don't say they are bargains, however at those prices I felt they offered value. AGL at the current price I believe still offers value and worth a punt,especially if you believe China and India is going to chug along, which I do.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
As Simon says on Hotstoxx...Hot or Not? I may buy a few for my long term portfolio. I feel I missed it a bit when they dropped to 130 odd in early 2009.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
well, there were 3867 deals today. That means 3867 people that share your view that AGL offers value. Because if nobody did, then nobody would buy, and we would not have 3867 deals - it is that simple.
0 Kudos
AJT
Super Contributor
it also means we have 3867 sales, hence just as many people do not have faith in the share..
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Or maybe their stop losses kicked in. Who knows the exact reasons why people buy or sell. But if it starts to go back up towards 380 again, then I would like some of that. We will see.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Anthony Durham picked this as his Hot Stoxx last night .. says back up your truck, he has 12% of his fund in it and is looking for +R400 ..
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
The bulk of shares or futures bought and sold are by traders with geared instruments, this is the main reason we have such volatility and market over reaction both to the up and downside. If one invests for the medium to long term (3 to 10 years), his purchases will not be geared and the daily or monthly fluctuations will be of little concern to him.I look at my situation and I certainly don't class myself a trader, the value of shares I've traded on CFD's and SSF's in the last 4 years is far more than the long term shares I have been accumulating the last 27 years.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
So that means he has moved away from picking small caps like SOH, BWI, ATR, AMA and other disasters !?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Prancing horse.. I totally agree. in the old days, information was unavailable and skewed values... these days every man and his dog has information and therefore values are scewed by the high levels of gearing. the true value investor in todays day and age must surly be the guy who sits in cash waiting for markets to miss price... because of geared panic anglo is paticularly vunerable because of its links with the alsi
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
must be even better at 268?Remember most shorts will be covered at around 250 and there will be lots of buyers at around 240-250....wave analysis
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
I'll pick up a few more if it hits 240 or 250, and keep for my pension days
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
pension...it might be a national asset by then!
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Rams - isn't a National Asset an oxymoron? Although I do see your point.
0 Kudos