Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Anglo

eddy66
Super Contributor
I bought AGL at 17850 then again at 15700.It's obviously dissatisfactory to watch hard earned money declining,vanishing in front of your eyes,vanishing as I'm typing here...My question is,how do you sell short?I'm a new trader and all I've done until now is buy and sell when i've made a profit.In a bear market that's pretty hard to do! Please assist,thanks!
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Eddy, please be careful. It's such a mad time to trade that you have a high chance of making a mistake. If it's hard-earned money, wait until you feel safer. Shorting etc might or might not work, and it's as scary if not more so because stocks like to wander up as soon as the bad news slows. Take one of the courses if you like, but try practice "on paper" and see if you would have made money. If you're investing for the long term: When you buy a stock, you don't lose until you sell. It's dropping now and it might take a while to get back but selling just means you ensure you made the loss and you lose on the trade out/trade in fees. Think about it calmly, not when you see red everywhere :)
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
When Anglo started their fortunes were based on gold and diamonds under the great chairmanship of the Oppenheimers,a great blue chip company was built,then in later years they decided to carefully diversify,which was a good policy,and added coal to the base,then platinum....Later base metals were added as their price took off,but i fear no account was taken of the fact that base metals can go into the doldrums for years at a time....The final nail in the coffin was when Billiton started performing better than Anglo they decided to weight the company towards these metals and minerals and DIVEST THEMSELVES COMPLERELY FROM GOLD, the original building block that started everything!
0 Kudos
venice
Super Contributor
Traders we need to listen to the charts not the palookas that make money from TV programs. How do you listen to a fisherman that catches no fish best listen to those that do, heres the thing they ain't going to tell you where the fish are or there won't be any fish for them. So this is no easy game if it was we would all have retired by now.
0 Kudos
Theater_Cat
Super Contributor
No, he is very intelligent - not a quack at all.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I make a point of not watching but in the unlickly event that I do happen to catch him...I have never ever not heard him punt a gold stock...now true gold shares have had a bit of a rally but they are still below the levels they were when I first watched his show...so in 4 years of a bull market and 2 years of a bear he still has not broken even..that be a quack because in that time anybody on the forum has done better.
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
Theater Cat? Roffey makes his money from his newsletters... that should be the warning?
0 Kudos
Galuc
Super Contributor
Sign of the times, my beer shares are worth more than my mining shares!!!!
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
I'm keeping my short....The DOW rallied well,but our response this morning is none too convincing!....Yes a true blue chip SAB.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
People drink to celebrate and drink to forget their problems, and when nothing is happening, they drink coz they are bored. Anglo, eish what can i say...
0 Kudos