Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Annual Performance

Werner_1
Super Contributor
So the year's basically done, what have your portfolios achieved. As you all know I only have long term investments (the best kind for wealth building - lol) and i managed to achieve a 24.83% gain for the year. I am very happy with this! I would like to hear what your %'s are.
0 Kudos
56 REPLIES 56
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
As a matter of interest: have you tried trading? Not judging - just that you seem to be a rare animal on this forum. Personally - I lean towards the long term approach - but the turmoil of the last three odd years has both tested my resolve and shaken my faith.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Yes I traded warrants and ssf for some years in the past. Did some fantastic trades with 100's % gains, but over the course of my investment career it turns out that the funds is more effectively allocated in my investment portfolio where I have made mtiples more than trading.
0 Kudos
sasa
Regular Contributor
Well done Werner. I only managed 16.6% (net of all costs, tax etc). Still, this beats the ALSI and most other investments.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
True well dOne 16% is also great nOw you need to compound that...
0 Kudos
teddybear
Occasional Contributor
0 Kudos
genie2b
Frequent Contributor
I managed 13% in the green (after costs and tax was deducted), was fortunate enough to trade FSR at the right times, bought low and sold high.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Anyway up over 32% on my "holds" And on my trading - wait for it - drum roll - 7%.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Werner, was Capitec your star performer?
0 Kudos
BoburUncle
Regular Contributor
Well, I have effectively started trade from the end of October, and been learning a lot! Only made a modest 2% so far. But next year is another year and more to learn. :)
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Capitec really helped me, Aspen over the past few years is very close to Capitec as well, EOH not bad either. Alot of the growth in my portfolio has come from very cheap entries in companies like RMH, SBK, WHL during the crisis when everything was dirt cheap. Citigroup in USA is doing pretty good for me, up over 13% in the past month!
0 Kudos
Oom_Boom
Frequent Contributor
Hi Werner, I managed about 24% not counting costs etc, about 6% of the 24% is divs. How was your divs? My SSF account was down 20% and is back up by about 18%, so that comes to just about ZERO plus STRESS. Focussing a lot more on investing, just trading a very small portion of SSF's.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Threshold, well done, i have the opinion that long term investing will over long periods of time always yield more than short term trading, trading has the risk of you loosing valuable funds that can compound which is a total devastation for a long term portfolio as well as much higher costs relating to tax and brokerage.
0 Kudos
AJT
Super Contributor
20.4% net return, so pretty happy.. Werner, well done, just over 24% is very good..
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
my divs for 2010 are about 4%, i bought some shares during the crisis that dont pay divs right now (mostly US based Citigroup and JPMorgan) but will start in the next 2 years. So this year wasnt very strong on divs but still got a bit, I have reallocated funds to shares with higher than average yields so next year will be good in this department.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I think anything from around 15% upwards is very good, 15% is double your money in 5 years, 20 goes to about 3.5 years or so i think. I am even more proud about the fact that my portfolio is compounding the gains at just over 24% as well since its creation (including crisis)!
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Year to date = 37.1% including dividends. Div yield = 4.45%. Fortunate to have a large bias towards retailers and no resources. Only long term investing, although I dabbled for a short while with installments. Just have one installment position left and will then stick to long term investing only.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
well done Louis, that's fantastic!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
20% in one year is easy enough, (although I am only at 18%), but getting your investments to compound the gains, that is a whole different ballgame. Once your portfolio reaches a certain size, your purchases for the year (at yearly or multiyear lows) will be insufficient to drive up the value of your total porfolio returns more than a couple of percentage points. So this is where the true wizards come to the fore. For example, if you are contributing R100k per year into a porfolio that is aleady at R1m, then your 20% gain will only make a 2% gain on your portfolio - assuming that your purchases were bought in dips, then the gains are irrelevant if the portfolio dipped 20% to give you your entry. This is why I advocate cycling out of certain holdings in a portfolio - to generate cash for further purchases. Only time will tell if I have the skill to actually do this
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Thanks Werner. However, you've outperformed me over 3 years. I managed 22.63% compounded annually. So kudos to you with your 24%. Have a great holiday.
0 Kudos