Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Any Idea why the US and Europe are so bullish and we are negative.

john_1
Super Contributor
I have been out most of the day, not really following what is going on. Whats up?
0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
Brazen
Super Contributor
Dollar coming back so resources under pressure. Also, they're seeing the UBS write down as a good thing this time. Think it shows an end in sight to sub prime. Why this time, when the last write down was the end of the world. Who knows?
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
And now March ISM manufacturing index above consensus. I think they wanna make money on the way up and then take it down, and make money that way too.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I guess they know how much paper is out there so if UBS is holding the dirty paper. It means UK and US banks are not. Maybe?
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Well the theory of buy on rumour and sell on fact applies here!
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
john, the problem is that they have no idea how much dirty paper their is or who is holding it. SP says worst is over, UBS said a few weeks agao that it would be US$600billion right offs in total 9across the world) and only one quarter thus far. In truth, nobody knows.
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
Our manufacturing sector has declined, US too. Rand is up a bit, Gold has declined some more
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Botton line - start a vegetable garden. Oh, and get a gun. Cos cretins without vegetable gardens will try to raid yours. To be really safe, better just start shooting cretins now.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Does one remove the ***** before shooting?
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Medium term the bear is over! There is no silver bullet for the banks though... When Mama Bear comes back one day, the FED won't have any bullets to fight it with and then we will see 600 Bil write offs!
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
But by then my veggies will be big, Wiz.
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
Brazen, you can count on those Cretins pulling your mielies out the ground roots and all - from experience. Must be the price of Maize!
0 Kudos
CAPITALIST_RUNN
Frequent Contributor
Be positive! As long as nobody burns the houses down or vandalises them, the banks can always put tenants in them thereby reducing the potential loss until the market turns and they can sell the properties at a fair price! S.A. has gone through this many times in the past!
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Yes next year I'll short the banks again and your veggies...If u have a doggie to keep them called drd I'll steal it as well!
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
And when those ice bergs melt those Europeans will be living in sub zero temps all year round, with no food grown. Then they'll all want to come here and buy our properties and eat our veggies. And they'll have to pay us in pure gold, cos their paper will be worth nothing. It'll be one carrot an ounce!!
0 Kudos
CrownA
Super Contributor
The market is looking 6-9 months ahead, so any bad news is flushing out the system. But it could be a little sucker rally before the next of the $600bn comes out of the US when another bank goes under. Surfing USA - ride the wave(trend)
0 Kudos