Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Any advice/ideas please....?

ws
Frequent Contributor
I am looking at a medium term investment in a car,something that will give me dividends(enjoyment,safety,comfort,reliability)and capital growth!(Ok,thats not going to happen!) I am looking at Audi Q5(very well finished,smooth,comfortable,features,but quite expensive), new Pajero Sport(a bit sluggish,4 speed box,a bit noisy,but lots of space and offroad ability), Landrover freelander(havent tested yet)and maybe Chev Captiva and Volvo XC60. Any one of you guys or girls out there have any of these vehicles - any comments,opinions or advice much appreciated!(Sorry I know this is well off the topic,but finding the market hard to follow at the moment,so lets kill some time)
0 Kudos
38 REPLIES 38
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
firslty - what is medium term ?? secondly, very very few cars are an investment .. they are a libilaity ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
Look at resale value, reliability and dealer network.
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
A car is NEVER an investment. It is a consumable...a depreciating (sometimes fast) mode of transport...for some an ego trip.
0 Kudos
AJT
Super Contributor
Q5 very nice, but overpriced (like most cars) - avoid the freelander it will give you heaps of trouble - 3 of my friends had freelanders and each of them had problems.... I bought the Captiva and love it, but did get a 27% discount off the purchase price (as they say, "not what you know, but who you know") - my advice would to buy something cheaper and rather invest the money....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Not applicable
High price, high insurance, high fuel consumption, high everything... I say buy the one that gets hijacked/stolen the least.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
honda .. boring, reliable an never stolen ..
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
My opinion buy the cheapest most reliable car that wil suit your needs. Power steering and Aircon are a non-negotiable for me. I dont have kids, so a simple boring sedan is fine. Last year I bought a second hand Astra elegance with 60000 on the clock, with balance of warrenty for about 70 K cash. I have used the rest of my budget to invest and hope to reap rewards in years to come. A lot depends on how ostentatious you want to be. The Jones's are way ahead of me, and I dont give a rats.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Well not even a bicycle would qualify that description (maybe an old penny farthing)..... However what are you wanting it for? Pavement hopping or serious bush bashing? If it is an ego booster then whatever floats your ego/persona and will not be too flashy in your neighbourhood. (The flashier in your neighbourhood the more your neighbours/criminals want to know about you and affermitaviely redistribute it), if it is a serious bush car, Audi and other high end options useless (you could go for the fake mud splash treatment) and here you would do best with the simplist engine setup in case you have to do road side repairs. Maybe a decent 2nd hand/demo model. Already lost its 40% value, what should have broken has etc....
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
New car and investment doesn't belong in the same sentence and not on this forum. I you want to be a sucker go ahead and waste money on a car. It's no better than flushing it down a toilet, except flushing it won't boost your ego so much.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Maybe the limited edition citi golf (the last 100 made) if u can getting hold of no.1 or no.100 can be a bonus ?
0 Kudos
Enzed
Frequent Contributor
Never buy new - you lose 30% min in the 1st year - imagine buying a share knowing that you would lose that amount.2nd year onwards is a much more attractive proposition.Why are u buying another car most cars are good for at least 300000kms!
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
I have no advice for you,but i am glad you use the word ADVICE,one of the few people on this forum that knows the difference between advise and advice.Example i shall advise you. Please give me advice!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
My Toyota 180i had 480,000km before I sold it (had to get a new company car for tax purposes accountant said) and it was fantastic. Only major work ever done, replaced entire cooling system & pipes (they got clogged over time so started being niggly and i did not want to bloe the enjin over something as silly as over heating) and re-did all brakes, disks, drums etc (not just pads) and the clutch was replaced for the first time after 420,000km. Was sad to see it go but the new one is also OK.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
At a R113 000 a pop ? Just like shares, future growth is already discounted into the price.
0 Kudos
foschinni
Contributor
good comment by Enzed. It would seem a more commercialy sound decision to go for a second hand. The trade off though is that you loose the good interest rates offered on new cars. So how do we gauge this > not an easy calculation?
0 Kudos
kokkie
Contributor
ws Have a look at http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/ for more advice and advise from the "experts "
0 Kudos
Not applicable
barry is gonna kill you kokkie
0 Kudos