Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Any advice/ideas please....?

SIMBA
Super Contributor
I drive a Volvo 3.2 V70 A.W.D. I am fortunate enough to be able to purchase them new. I know you loose imedeatly you leave the show room but if you average that out against 5 years of hasel free driving and i carry bags of cemment, drunken teenagers as well as half the rugby team, its cheap. There is no resale on any big car so dont be fooled into think that, the only way you appear to win is when you trade up, i hope it helps........
0 Kudos
nala
Super Contributor
i have got a 1992 corolla - done 350000k - good for another - 200000k serves my needs-
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I have a Golf 5 2005, been paying it for 4 years now, then extended my term. Im paying a lot less for it now, but still have 2 years to go....thinking about selling for more money to invest, do you guys think i should go ahead and sell, or would i loose out after paying it for so long?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
sorry, for using your thread ws :)
0 Kudos
ws
Frequent Contributor
Hi all,thanks for all the feedback and ADVICE (Is that right Barry?)! I was only joking about the investment part,I know most cars are not an investment! My existing Xtrail has done 165000kms,but having had to replace turbo and intercooler earlier this year and just hasnt been the same, so I am "cutting my losses and exiting my position". I will use the vehicle mainly on road,but do travel about 10kms dirt road every day,and would like to be able to go up Sani Pass, Transkei, Mozambique,maybe Botswana.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
the trick to buying a car is simple .. buy a low milage jan model in december so you can negotiate price down as salesman wants sale in current year .. and pay cash .. rinse.wash.repeat every two or so years .. you save a fortune in depreciation and interest and other rip offs ..
0 Kudos
ws
Frequent Contributor
AJT-which Captiva have u got and what is like offroad? kokkie-thanks will check out the forum, Simba-did you look at the XC 60 at all? gregs-my feeling is the longer you take to pay off,obviously the more the car has cost you and the less it is worth, so i would try and settle asap, then if the car is still ok, take your car instalments and save or invest. The car that I am considering will be a company car, so it does change things especially from a financial point of view (no finance,maintenance,insurance etc costs),but I agree the dealers are offering fairly good discounts on new cars at the moment,they come with service plans and warranties.
0 Kudos
DR_1
Super Contributor
Car is an emotional decision - business case is joy and driveability. personally we got a z4 for weekend driving, fortuner for weekdays and a bike for when you really want to be crazy
0 Kudos
SIMBA
Super Contributor
The V60 is more gimmicky although strong but i need a robust wagon as i said when i pick my son from his posh school i need to look the part and in my real life i need to get tools and materials to my sites....
0 Kudos
ws
Frequent Contributor
AJT-are you referring to the new freelanders? Simon-are you saying buy a 2009 model now in dec and get a discount because the 2010 models are obviously due/available in jan?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
yes, and the largest % drop in value happens int he first 1km .. so you get a low milage essentially brand new car for about 30% off retail price ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
So grab a showroom model with lowest km best condition and hopefully your colour features you want etc, test drive it around the block and say you will buy it (THAT ONE YOU JUST DROVE) ?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
:) tip, but I had to wait 6 weeks for them to deliver it .. and it helped that I knew the dealer ..
0 Kudos
AJT
Super Contributor
Hi WS - no, not the new ones, but a friend bought a new landrover and had problems - kept if for 8 months, ended up driving it for half the time and lost over R200k on it - i personally would not tough anything from Landrover [they look good, but that is about it...]
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thats why the landrovers got heated rear windows, to keep ur hands warm in winter when u push it
0 Kudos
ws
Frequent Contributor
Well thanks ajt & moosedawg, that seems to eliminate the landrover. I am waiting on a price of an Audi demo as per Simon's strategy. It is amazing though, already the Pajero salesman has gone from no discount to less R20k on a new Pajero sport!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
No mention of the best 4x4 in SA, the landcruiser / Prado? .or they too big 'n bulky?
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Check out the vehicle depreciation table posted on Moneyweb this morning.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Exctract from the article...........the slowest depreciating car in the table was the Mercedes ML 63 AMG, which fell in value from R1m to R783 000 in a year or a scant 22.6%. That looks good in percentage terms but still gives a depreciation figure of R230 000 in a year or R19 200 a month! Three C-class Mercs also depreciated by less than 25% in the first year. The best of them, the C200K classic, which dropped only 24.6%, still lost R82 000 or R6 800 a month. Even the Tata, which dropped by more than 40%, lost a lot less value in rands - R34 000 or R2 833 a month............now that is scary stuff
0 Kudos