Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Any good tales?

Not applicable
Well seems like opinion and share trading discussions have died for the time being.... anyone got anything interseting to chat about?
0 Kudos
22 REPLIES 22
Not applicable
Yes. Why is a litre of soda water (less the bottle deposit cost) more expensive than a litre of petrol?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I will start off: working from home today as we had an almighty wind storm and rain on the week-end. this exploded the breaker and lamp post switches across from my house. No electricity from Friday night. Sunday the council sent a team to look at it. They restored electricity with temp cable as they claim an underground cable fault is to blame. Now they have spent two days trying to find the cable from the main supply to my house. They dont have diagrams for the street as the street I live in started about 120 years ago and our house was built over 50 years ago (I am not orriginal owner so have no idea how it was laid out). I am one of only three houses in this street, and other houses working fine. Really fun to watch 15 plus guys walking the street with magnetic probes and other hi-tech devices trying to find my cable. BTW there are about 21 high voltage 60,000 Volt cable that run under the ground in a trench across from my house so even more fun them trying to sort out which is which ;-)
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
because you can drink the water? what about 1 ml of deoderant....R43 at woolwoths for 6ml bottle...thats 100x more than petrol if my maths is correct (and it usually is not)and at best its made form petrol waist products.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
CPS - on that note, we were asked to submit a tender to locate all Butterworth's (Gcuwa) underground services a couple of years ago; the Muni having lost all diagrams. Nice one. Subsurface surveys are much an art and much a science. A lot depends on the skill of the operator. Or so I am told. We declined to tender by the way.
0 Kudos
juggie
Contributor
WE had a similar problem in the area where I live,they sent out + - 5 guys to have a look at the problem,and all they did was look at it for 10 min and left only to return 4 days later
0 Kudos
ACEP_
Regular Contributor
3 Irishmen walk into an inn looking to sleep overnight. The Barlady tells them it costs R30 per room. They decide to share and each one chips in ten bucks and then go up to the room. The Barlady then realizes she made a mistake and it should have only been R25. She calls the Bellboy over, gives him five bucks and asks him to return it to the men. As the Bellboy walks up the stairs he thinks to himself, well how the hell should I split the five bucks between the 3 men. Aha, he figures he will give them R1 each back and keep R2 for himself, which he does. Q: How much did each one pay for the room? R9 right, therefore they paid a total of R27 and the Bellboy has R2, where is the other rand? John, so don't feel alone...
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
LOL alone no..stupid yes!
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
They actually paid R8.33 for the room each. R25 / 3 = 8.3333 then plus the R 1.00 they got back from the change, makes a cost of R 9.33 each.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
It's in the wording. The men paid R9 each which is R27 .. the trick is when you add the R2 that the man has .. this is wrong ... That R2 is already in the R27 . You should be adding the R3 that the three men have between them (because the R27 is made up of what the men have paid so the remainder should be made up of what they did not hand over .. if they paid 30 - supposed to get 5 but got 3 .. so really it would be 28(25+3) so 30-5=25+3=28+2=30
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Does anyone play cricket here...need some advice on concentration skills while batting.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
not for 20 years, but my memory has it.. When the tall oke runs in with the intention of knocking your teeth out... its best to not to watch or think of anything other than hitting the ball...when your teeth survive think about nothing other than the girl you trying to impress by standing in the sun all day with only a piece of wood to defend your teeth, start from the beginning again when tall oke turn again to run again..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Take breaks between balls. It is impossible to concentrate for 3 hrs straight. Gary Kirsten sites this as his turning point. He would go for a little stroll between balls. Oh, never played cricket much myself.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
I wish I could bat for 3 hours...I just want to turn the 20's into 40's or thereabouts...anyway. John it never to late to start again.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
YA I spent my entire youth playing cricket..to turn your 20s into fifties just measure it one run at a time or work in blocks of ten...
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
I moved to this city 3 months ago. My son was born 1 month later. Friday night(2weeks ago) there is a knock at the door, open it up to find the immigration police. In they come inspect all my documents, visas etc and then welcome me to the city and give me a hotline number to phone incase I have any problems. So sunday I catch a taxi into the pub and the officer is walking in the street where I get dropped off. I pay the taxi R20 and the officer walks over greets me like his long lost brother then procedes to give the driver a hard time for charging me R20 he says I should only pay R15 because there is a crisis. Then the officer tells the driver that he will take me anywhere whenever I require his services. Was I shocked. I wonder if that would happen in SA?
0 Kudos
BAP
Regular Contributor
On batting - I firmly believe improvement (or concentration?) also comes with age (golf the same too). Batsmen in general retire far too early whereas consistent good scores and ability to judge good balls from bad ones only come your way in late 30's and even early 40's.
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Try positive self-talk,Blik.Just keep telling yourself,either before or while batting,that you are a good batsman and that your concentration is really good.Sounds simple,but works.
0 Kudos
hippo
Contributor
Batting same as trading - patience and wait for the right trade (bad ball). Unless u are a bowler, the league in which u are playing will produce at least 2-3 bad balls per over. Get into them. Develop a set routine to do between balls - even nets!! It becomes second nature and helps you to focus on the next ball. Trade the price = play each ball on merit.
0 Kudos
hippo
Contributor
Bap, golf yes, cricket no. Post 35 there are very few batsmen that still have reaction times to remain competitive. Exceptions yes, genly no way. Your feet cannot get to the pitch of the ball in time anymore, no matter how good your shot selection. And eventually that youngster bowling at 140km/h hits you on the helmet....For sure!
0 Kudos