Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Any recommendations.

Werner_1
Super Contributor
50-60% drop in earnings was expected since last year, investors as you can see were not that concerned about it because the management (Allan Olivier) did a excellent job to let us all know what will happen in the annual results from december 2008, I believe if one wants to successfully invest in Grindrod one needs to match ones investment style to theirs, for me it is a perfect match, but others it might not be.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Well ! ... Why not give him good advice and tell him to make his own decisions because you have clearly no clue what you are talking about
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Why are directors selling?
0 Kudos
Shaun_Siddall
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
it all depends on ones investment strategy and as it has been proven many times over mine is vastly different to many on this website, so i dont expect many to understand my views, Preston and I have chatted about this many times and agree, but like he said, that is our views - take it or leave it. its long term investing...
0 Kudos
juda
Occasional Contributor
0 Kudos
eddy66
Super Contributor
MTX,just ask Annie!
0 Kudos
bangbul
Regular Contributor
99.9999% of shares will proof good ones in 10 years. [exception the bancrupt ones] Consider this avg 15%pa = 400% in 10 years. IMO Taking profit on highs & getting back in on lows is part of a good long term strategy. Hennie is right though, make your own dicisions. Only you know your abillities and risk profile. My advice study the market and try your hand at some warrant & SSF'S.too. [If you've an apetite for risk; some VERY HIGH RISK ones in portf. sal, spg, taw, imu.]
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
well the fact is that nobody can predict the highs and lows of the market acurately over time. costs play a huge role in long term investing. then maybe all shares will go up like you say, but having a proper long term strategy (value approach, or so) one seeks out the exceptional investments that will prove to make substantially more gains (in dividends and capital) than just the average, that is how Warren Buffett got to where he is with his/his clients money. I think if one believes all shares will do well, then one can stick to STX40, etc. only my view though...
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Preston, People thought Warren Buffett was an idiot at times when he did certain investments, this occurred several times in his career, one of the most famous is the dot com boom/bust, they said he doesnt know what he is talking about etc. then came the crash, he was proven correct and his personal fortune as well as his clients surged to unbelievable levels. I guess it is not everyone that can see the true rough diamonds when times are tough...
0 Kudos
jamoo
Frequent Contributor
sallies, can't go any lower.
0 Kudos
bangbul
Regular Contributor
Isure as hell can not! All I'm saying is; don't close your eyes for short term oppertunities or dangers just because you have a long term objective. I buy shares when IMO the price is lower than the long term value. Example; I bought jbl at R1 & sold at R6.45 because IMO the price became higher than it's value. Now I rather buy SAL because I see more value there & i'll keep it untill i feel the price is higher than the value. Nothing wrong with your strategy either. Warren Buffet qoute; I buy when everybody is selling. lol
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
cool. no problem, there are many ways to cash off in the market. thanks for the discussions, i really enjoy them... good luck with your investments.
0 Kudos
Quakedog
Super Contributor
Mittal,Barlowworld,Liberty International all 3 been slaughtered and will have massive gains in the years to come.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
My guess ... buffet must be buying
0 Kudos
bangbul
Regular Contributor
Alcoa Spikes [major aluminium producer] price soaring. CEO says demand in Asia & Europe stronger. Results tomorrow.[interresting stat- whatever direction there price takes after results, the market follow most of the time in the month thereafter] Flourspar inventries still high, but it's not going to last forever. I'm still buying; consider the risk though.
0 Kudos
Theater_Cat
Super Contributor
Winhold (wnh) - solid small cap.
0 Kudos
sasa
Regular Contributor
Check out this report on GND for an "independant" perspective! http://sharetips.co.za/2009/07/report-grindrod-limited-gnd-2/
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Hi, thanks for the links. Remember it is more easier for a company to grow its profit from a low base rather than growing its profit from a relatively high base. All i see is companies taking advantage of the current economic condition to release some performance pressure. Expect other companies to follow suit.
0 Kudos