Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Anyone can explain how Scalping works??

Electrox
Super Contributor
I know chartist explained once how he scalps, but I didn't quite catch on. Any daytraders here that can explain how to scalp?
0 Kudos
26 REPLIES 26
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
lots of trades with very small moves .. so profits are small, but frequent ..
0 Kudos
Electrox
Super Contributor
Thx simon.. I should rephrase my question.. to "what are the basic techniques on how to scalp..
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
almost anything works, or ethen anything it is the tme frame .. generally done in the 1 minute chart .. bollinger bands, candles are two of the more popular methods .. even just highs and lows with a previous period ..
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
thing is liek any trading it is not about the indicators/charts etc .. rather it is about the trader ..
0 Kudos
Electrox
Super Contributor
Jep.. Thats what the last year has tought me so far... Trading is really about comming to terms with onselfs decision making processes and emotional analysis
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
yip, the rest is about a coin and a dart ..
0 Kudos
doomsdayza
Super Contributor
Random entry + discplined money management & exit strategy = profits?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
doomsdayza
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
an that is how easy trading is .. then just to get the head right, an that's the hard part .. hence my comment of earlier about not lettign my thinking get in the way of my trading ..
0 Kudos
doomsdayza
Super Contributor
Things are starting to click... I've also been realising the importance of a trading journal. To add on to the random entry theory, if you are able to increase the probability of your setups being more successful (i.e. better than random) I think you're on the way to being golden.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ya, and I just use 2 or 3 MA's .. nice an simple - but they increase the odds in my favour ever so slightly ..
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
How quickly would you pull your position if it moves in the wrong direction? Does it mean you need X wins of Y size for each loss, etc?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I don't put my stops overly tight .. but my avergae winner is larger then my average loser, coupled with more winners then losers and the odd flyer that returns a massive winner .. it prints money ..
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
i dont agree yes head must be right and money management is critical thats the two aspects but if you dont get the third one right then the other two are useless, random entry in day trading and you will get eaten alive, especially if trading an index.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
nope, there are real live examples of random entry working in day trading .. an tharp has done lots on this .. pointis your time frame is completely irrelavent, whether trading on 1 min or annual chart .. tis all the same .. cept for speed of entry ..
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
thats called gambling so you would do a random entry at anytime on the chart without looking at the indicators is that what you saying.
0 Kudos
Electrox
Super Contributor
I agree with Aslyum.. you need that 3rd componenet ( "An edge" )To have some sort of confrimation to put your confidents at test. But The First two aspects are still more important. headstraight + dicipline(controling losses) Another key is the frequency of trading, i.e Several attempts at trying to get the big move.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
yes .. all my trading systems use is 2 MA's, 3 on the lazy .. that is a very small hop above a random entry .. trading is just money management and discipline .. the charts are merely there to give us the courage to enter the trade ..
0 Kudos