Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Anyone for a short?

HateGauteng
Super Contributor
. . . or would this be too risky?
0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
Galuc
Super Contributor
No it is against the trend!
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
market is at high for the year, why short ?? tis going up and the only thing is to own it, or watch it ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
dude, this is the wrong instrument for short term timeframes. Rather use warrants of futures contracts
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Last week or two market has gone down a bit at end of week as I remember it. Maybe Friday will go down a bit
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
was also hoping for some profit taking.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
even worse - because now you have a derivative instrument on top of a derivative instrument - each one of htem with a spread and transaction fees. Spread on Satrix is usually about 10 pts, which equates to about 100 pts on the JSE, and the spread is pretty controlled, to smooth out hte volatility. Add your comms into that equation and you have a recipe for short term failure. ETF's are fantastic long term investments, but don't try to swing trade with them
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Damn! I shoulda shorted!
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
don't mistake a profit with a good idea or good trading .. profit and loss have nothing to do with it ..
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Please drop a line on the forum when your next long trigger comes up.
0 Kudos
Jock
Occasional Contributor
I like profit more than a good trade or good ideas.
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
RI can remember a similar discussion when AGL was at R290 and then again when it was at R300.Hmmmm!!!
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I went long tuesday ..
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
nah, what you want is good trading, that will lead to profits .. focusing on profits will lead to bad trading and losses ..
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Well still time to get in on the pullback so long as your exit is not hit.
0 Kudos