Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Applying mathematic to stock trading

Parttimer
Frequent Contributor
Hi Guys, something interesting I was watching the other day. It was about a gentleman called James Simons who started a company called Renaissance Technology. As of Forbes last listing his nett worth was $13b. This guy is a mathematics graduate and set up his stock trading business by only using mathematical models to trade stocks. All his key guys are scientists. Interesting to hear him say that fundamental analysis was consistently beaten by their mathematical stock trading. Watch him on Youtube.
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Rams
Super Contributor
i really do not think his success has anything to do with maths...he is just a good manager who manages some clever sales-people.There is no magic formula in trading. He is a hedge fund manager, so sort of a broker who makes money irrespective of market movement...Trade the ALSI on 15 minute and you will understand....
0 Kudos
Chopchop
Contributor
Have you read hedge fund Wizards? There are some interview of hedge fund managers that consistently outperform the market and a few of them are using mathematical modelling to do it.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Its all about mathematics! Either simple maths (risk vs reward) or more complex algorithms involving probability (as a mathematician myself, probability theory is always the hardest to master IMO). In fact, if it wasn't for mathematicians, you wouldn't have any instruments to trade with other than underlying stocks.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Totally agree....but Simons success is not due to his mathematical abilities......
0 Kudos
Parttimer
Frequent Contributor
Hi Rams, I disagree with you on your last point unless you know something different. Watch his interview on Youtube. He clearly states that they initially started as fundamental traders but soon realized that they could not consistently produce those returns. Hence they started using mathematical models to consistently deliver results. That's what he says unless you believe that he is lying?
0 Kudos