Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Are local dividends taxable in the individuals hands

Ricky_1
Occasional Contributor
Please can somebody clarify whether local dividends received on listed companies are taxable in the individuals hands. My tax consulatnt and I are disagreeing on this issue where he says yes and I say no. Dividends if I understand matters correctly are taxable (STC) but paid by the company issuing the dividend. Please help as I now have a tax problem as my tax consultant has placed local dividends under interest received when submitting my return.THANK YOU.
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
suki
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
From 1 April 2012, STC will fall away, and you will be charged a withholding tax of 10% instead of the company. In theory, the net effect should be the same - instead of STC, you get taxed. In practise, you will be at the mercy of all companies changing their dividends policies. As for your tax consultant, it depends on what you are earning dividends on. Dividends from companies - your consultant is wrong, period. They are currently tax free. Dividends from listed property funds - well these are actually income distributions, and are taxable, in which case your consultant is treating them right.
0 Kudos
jo_soap
Contributor
I would definately get a new tax consultant!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
just to add section 10(1)(k) of the income tax act currently exempts dividends, i.e. they are not taxed currently...till next year Apr.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Property Loan Stocks 'dividends' are taxable in terms of income - but what you need to check is if the payment or distribution is listed as a dividend or a payment of some other sort. If a dividend then at this stage not taxable in your hands.
0 Kudos
Ricky_1
Occasional Contributor
0 Kudos
Ricky_1
Occasional Contributor
0 Kudos
Ricky_1
Occasional Contributor
0 Kudos