Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Are share instalments worth it for long term investments

surfer
Regular Contributor
with interest part of share instalments ,are SI worth it for a long term hold like 3-5 year.wont interest kill you in the end or will you dividends make up for it.Or are ordinary share just the best for the long term 3-5 year plus.basicaly does the risk compensate the return(not saying can predict what market will do)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Not applicable
instalments are usually valid for about a year. on expiry you can roll over into a new instalment, unless the market maker doesn't issue one. you will be paying interest for the entire period (deducted from the value of the instalment). instalments yield better results if they are actively traded, but if you're looking at 3-5 years, then perhaps it would be better to buy the actual share. OMO
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
One first needs to confirm with SARS if a taxable event takes place every time (I think its every 6 months)one sells the installment. One also needs to clarify if you have to pay capital gains or income tax. If it is taxable , either max 10% for CGT or up to 40% income tax, then your timing has to be close to perfect to make a consistant profit. If your term is longer than 3 years then you will only pay CGT. IMO buy long term and get advice from a tax consultant before you buy.
0 Kudos
surfer
Regular Contributor
thanks guys.Not really worried about tax implications but clearly some people are,which makes sense.Just trying to weigh up pro vs cons of riding out this correction or whatever you want to call it.My idea was to keep for long period but inderestimated the effects of interest on SI as difficult to calculate daily .Thinking maybe convertying to underlying
0 Kudos
CrownA
Super Contributor
My theory - ho hum - is if there are no warrants for the underlying, at least you get the gearing and the dividends. You can't get that with a warrant!
0 Kudos