Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

As a Rand HEDGE

barry_1
Super Contributor
I have added this share to my speciaaist watchlist....see....sashares2010.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
23 REPLIES 23
Not applicable
Why not just use BTI? Reinet is basically BTI in a fund with management fees. And worse - BTI earnings increased while REI reported a decrease I'm earnings. How does that work?
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
REI is a much more interesting company than BTI. They have acquired distressed debt funds as well buying select native debt issues. They have also bought into Europesan asset management setups. As for the management fees - well - I don't mind paying the Ruperts for their efforts. We are happy to pay "no-name-brand" management teams to do "a job" without any real knowledge of either their competence or the job they are doing. Their is also much more upside in a R16 share in a R35 BILLION company vs a R490 share in a R1 TRILLION company. I have been singing this song since R11 and I am sticking to it...
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
There is... oops!
0 Kudos
warhippo
Super Contributor
I do watch and then like REI moves in US and lately in Uk . This makes it more attractive for me. The percentage edge in price movement over 6 and 12 months to BTi maybe makes up for missing out on div.
0 Kudos
Major
Regular Contributor
I like getting BTI's cashflow at a discount, plus the upside of the non BTI assets. This could look like a very interesting and asset rich financial share in a few years. Put in your bottom draw and enjoy the compound growth.
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
BTI is on its way out -its not if its when- and for goodness sake please don't quote the number of cigarettes sold in the World as justification for owning it. Threshold is right. REI is a really interesting proposition And it will get interestinger and interestinger as time goes by. It has cash cows starting to be developed - eg in its pension business - and it will continue to add to the portfolio. Drawdown..little to worry about? (ps never ask anyone who you don't know a lot about to manage money for you or funds....and that includes retail offerings.)
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
685 bil sticks sold annually...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
685 000 000 000 a year ..
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
AND REI is positioned to leverage all of that profit AND you get to buy it at a discount...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ya a discount so the bosses can swan it around the world on tasty management fees ..
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Chart looks interesting.Threatening to break up out of a falling wedge.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
So - it's factored in then - why complain. BTI is a one trick pony (a very neat trick, I'll grant you.) She is in an industry which relies on the unregulated emerging market. Her price factors in the possibility of unrestricted access to CHINA. That is a very big maybe. REI will feast on the cash flow and use it to diversify out of this game into other fields. I am happy to pay the Ruperts for this. Anyway - all of that "swanning around" is about image and that is the name of their game! Again - since that swanning is discounted into the share price - it is free - I get the Ruperts for nothing. Bargain!
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Alas,BTI and its ilk have been my downfall healthwise!....Second hand smoker et al!....Feel they owe me....I would never buy their procduct,one thing our government has done correct ,to discourage smoking!
0 Kudos
traderdan
Occasional Contributor
how come SBG OST reports EY as 22.81% when EY of BTI comes in much lower. surely if 84 % of REINET is BTI, this cant make sense?
0 Kudos
traderdan
Occasional Contributor
how come SBG OST reports EY as 22.81% when EY of BTI comes in much lower. surely if 84 % of REINET is BTI, this cant make sense?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
EY just the inverse of PE
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
@partridge, I think we all know your views on BTI, just as well as you know mine. Had I bought REI instead of BTI, the former would have to trade at R23.76 for it to match the return I've had from the later, and that's excluding divs. Add the dividends an
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
let us see......."a smoke"
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Just make sure it's a Lucky Strike when you light up.
0 Kudos