Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Astonishing fact - COST OF US BAILOUT SO FAR!!

Not applicable
I found this littl extract from an economist showing some facts of the markets since great depression.

"At last count, the Federal Reserve and the government have either lent, guaranteed or spent $12.8 trillion in their efforts to get the US economy back on track. We know that these numbers lose their significance after a while and it's hard to relate to them but we'll try.
You may remember a couple of years ago when a study was done by two respected economists estimating that the total cost of the Iraq war would eventually reach $2 trillion. At the time, people were shocked. But compared to the nearly $13 trillion for the economy, the Iraq war expenses now seem small in comparison.
Looking at it another way, the value of all the gold in existence since the time of Christ is currently worth about $2 trillion. In other words, just the costs to bail out the US economy and nothing else, like Social Security, military, infrastructure etc, is so far going to be more than six times all of the gold that's been produced over the past 2000 years. (Just last December the cost was three times, which illustrates how quickly the costs have multiplied over the past five months.)"

That is one very large number in the computer banking systems. I further read that if the Feds actually had to print the physical dollars takes to bail out the economy thus far it would take something like 19 months if they printed @ 1 million dollars a minute..... makes you think
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
murgs
Contributor
Don't know if you saw an email going around. ;-) Dear Mr. President, Please find below my suggestion for fixing America's economy. Instead of giving billions of dollars to companies that will squander the money on lavish parties and unearned bonuses, use the following plan. You can call it the Patriotic Retirement Plan: There are about 40 million people over 50 in the work force. - Pay them $1 million apiece severance for early retirement with the following stipulations: 1) They MUST retire. Forty million job openings - Unemployment fixed. 2) They MUST buy a new American CAR. Forty million cars ordered - Auto Industry fixed. 3) They MUST either buy a house or pay off their mortgage - Housing Crisis fixed. It can't get any easier than that! P.S. If more money is needed, have all members in Congress and their constituents pay their taxes...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
murgs
Contributor
mmmmmmmm - interesting maths. 40 x 1 = 40 = $40 million. If I'm wrong it explains a lot! lol
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
$1,000,000 x 40,000,000 people = $40,000,000,000,000
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I think TAD was an Enron accountant in his previous proffesion
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
They're not spending all of it. Most is "invested" in the "biggest and best" US companies. US Gov. can possibly make a fortune out of these forced investments/bailouts, ...... eventually.
0 Kudos