Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Attention ABSA Account holders

Not applicable
This is an e-mail I have received. First of all I don't have any dealings with ABSA and secondly even if I did I wouldn't react to something like this. Note also that the address is ib before absa. Some scam artists wanting to get a person's banking details. They trade on panic that some unauthorised person has been trying to logon to your account. Well I think all banks have a logon sms, so surely one would know anyway. SO TAKE CARE. Dear Valued Customer This message is notify you about the series of invalid logon attempts into your online bank account with us. In order for it to remain active, we will require you to upgrade some important details in your account profile to prevent limitations to your online access. Please go to https://ib.absa.co.za/ib/upgrades to update your security details with us. Note* You are advised to match your account details correctly to avoid service denial. You will also need to verify your TVN upon request. Thank You
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Not applicable
if you understand Hyperlinks, then, have you noticed how the text web address would way click on 'www.absa.co.za' to update, But, if you look at the hyperlink in the web address, it's some totally different address (link)!!!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Sorry, don't know what you are talking about as I'm not clued in to Hyperlinks. Appreciate it if you could perhaps explain in more detail to me exactly what you mean. But I still think it has to be a scam as I'm not an ABSA account holder and think a warning is necessary.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
It is a scam as no Bank will request you to confirm your details in this manner!
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
have been receiving these nonsense for the last 12 months. default reaction: DELETE.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
definately a SCAM. i've had them from almost all the 'banks'. hyper link is a web address 'hidden' in the text. while the name www.absa.co.za may look authenic, if you hover your mouse over that text, a box will pop up with a different addres therein of where it's really going to on the internet.ie as you said perhaps www.ibabsa.co.za
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
I had exactly the same message as Zircs a few days ago.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
i get about one per day either from a 'bank' or a lottery that Ive won...all wanting my bank details...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks MAsterB, I see what you mean when you hover over the address. Looks like a gobbledegook address. But if you do divulge bank acc numbers, what could they do with it unless one is really stupid and gives codes. Or do they expect you to do that?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Lets just say, if you ever watched that movie with Leonardo Decaprio, "catch me if you can": it's a start to understanding electronic fraud.
0 Kudos
stores
Super Contributor
Whats the solution? Surely there is someone or some organisation we can contact to forward these to, to investigate, interogate and take the criminals to task. (I also get them daily).
0 Kudos
chas
Regular Contributor
Agreed - it's time there was proactive action taken agsinst these criminals...
0 Kudos
nala
Super Contributor
0 Kudos