Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

BAT (BTI) attractive short

KVS
Not applicable
British American Tobacco (BTI) is the greatest short I have seen for a long time, if the rand weakness is temporary. If the rand-pound falls from R12.7 back to R11, the share price could fall from R350 to R300. (2) The company is buying back stocks, which creates more buyers than usual. According to my amateur calculations, if they used all the cash to buy back stocks, it would only boost EPS by 3.3%. (3) Governments want people to stop smoking. If the medical images on packaging does help, then there are bound to be more measures.
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
Not applicable
dont know if you can short BTI, I know Standard Bank closed the CFD. Maybe someone else knows of another way?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ah yes the much maligned 'hope' strategy .. AKA standing in front of an out of control train and hoping it suddenly gets stopped by a gust of wind ..
0 Kudos
grommet
Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Also known as the anti smoking movement. The way I see it, it is a win win for me. If the anti smokers get their way, I will be happy not to have to breathe secondary smoke again in my lifetime. If not, well I make some money then.
0 Kudos
seded
Contributor
Has run hard since mid March on very low volumes from time to time.Buy back is on going and certainly helps on demand creation side.A so called defensive stock now and not for shorting with buy back in place.
0 Kudos
BoburUncle
Regular Contributor
Can't you short the SSF?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
why is everyone so cautious about share buybacks? BHP also had a share buyback - and look where they are?
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
The implication is that the entity concerned cannot use the money to finance growth - either through internal investment or acquisition. So they buy back their own shares instead of giving dividends. In the case of BTI - this is all well-known; it is a value stock (but with growth from the far east that won't prove to be nearly as capital intensive as most other industrials (since makiing cigarettes is a pretty low tech business. Sometimes buybacks are in vogue and sometimes they are anathema - its a fashion thing ruled by the latest text books prescribed for the CFA's.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Have to say though - that with well over 2 billion shares in issue - one has to wonder what difference the share buyback will make.
0 Kudos
seded
Contributor
Have a look at their sens history. They surely mop up most shares left by the Institutional "defensive" buyers at this rate. Omo.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
So...? It makes practically no difference to the ratios - give it back to shareholders as a dividend.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Who knows - I might even decide to reinvest the dividends in BTI shares - but it will be my choice.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
This possibly the worst stock to try and short. It's the most defensive stock on our share market and have huge backing from institutional buyers. There is better stock to short the BTI - much better.
0 Kudos