Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

BHP and MTN

PUNTER
Occasional Contributor
Hi, At today's prices can one buy these 2 shares with the idea of selling in 3 months and making 15 to 20% profit. Thanks Punter.
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
Not applicable
Buy Mtn... buy more Mtn, Im planning to sell all my mtn shares that i have held 4 the last 7yrs
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
My trading system tells me to sell, not buy.My system also tells me that these 2 shares will be 15-20% down in 2 months time
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
The market traditionally runs later in the year. BUT then again it should be slumping in September. BHP is cheap - especially if the world continues to growm - at any sort of pace (ie. there are good growth prospects.) MTN is not cheap on the face of it - nor does it offer a compelling growth story (in fact it no longer even tries to.) It also faces substantial headwinds with regard to pricing, competition, technology, constant capex on infrastructure maintenance and upgrading.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
MTN is definatly a but but not at these levels. As above, i totally agree that MTN would be down to its 100-110 levels in the next couple weeks. Most of the shares are currently at they peaks. Please have patients or else you going to end up in a 15%-20% loss in the next 2 months!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
MTN has 35M customers in one of Africa's fastest growing economies. Nigeria is supposed to have forecasted GDP of like 7 or 8%. i mean, that is significant, and will have two impacts 1) more middle class - meaning more high ARPU customers 2) greater number of subscribers, since Nigeria still only has around 30-40% GSM penetration rate.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Punter - Short answer is no you can't. In case you haven't noticed, this year we're trading in a fixed range, and what you asking is for both these shares to break out of that trading range. The chances of that is 50/50, and on top of that you want a premium once it's broken out. The likelyhood of that happening is very, very slim from these overbought levels.
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
....Highly improbable making that sort of gain in 3 months,on most stocks and least of all on MTN.The continual interest with MTN intrigues me - the stock has done nothing for some time and continues to under perform . OMO.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
MTN is definitely on a recovery path but shortterm overbought as is the market. I don't think it will go back to the 100 levels though but is due for a correction shortterm. I think it will work it's way back to the 140's to 150 levels. I won't short it it either because that will be countertrend. ( my opinion)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
no one really knows the answer to your question-prices have recovered significantly from march 2008-the easy money has already been made but maybe there is another 15 to 20% rise in the market
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
15-20% rise, could be 100% rise in the market.... in the next 20 years. But over the next 2 months, you are right, we dont know, but trade according to your system and my system says down 20%. I will go short and my system will protect my capital if I am wrong...
0 Kudos
koos2
Super Contributor
If the Rand is going to R5.60 , then you want to buy counters that make their money in Zar (that's why foreigners bought zar credit retailers). If the Rand goes to R5.60, do you really want to sit on rand hedges and take that conversion hit. It depends on your view of where the rand is going in the next 24 months.
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
My Wife is studying astrology and her teacher predicts correction in early october-not sure if her system will be right but it's as good a guess as I have heard-my own view based on average pe is that market is overpriced and therefore I have taken some money(not all) off the table.
0 Kudos