Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

BIG SHORT!

Quakedog
Super Contributor
We got to go short today and next few day to! TOPI!
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
Quakedog
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Quakedog
Super Contributor
Sorry tomorrow morning! Gees I must still have a hangover!
0 Kudos
jakes007
Contributor
I want to short a share. I'm not sure what procedure to follow on the site? Can you help? When I click on the trade link, were do I go to short it?
0 Kudos
WR
Regular Contributor
if you do not know how to short, stay away. first go read, then practice with dummy portfolio and then trade. Else be prepared to loose eveything if you get it wrong
0 Kudos
SKALA
Super Contributor
Haastige hond verbrand sy mond; passop!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Left menu----futures registration-----and sell a few futures. such as NPN, ASA and AGL......geez this forum is prone to producing many a poor man..... sad
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Moose I doubt this forum produces poor men/women. We have all been given and we all eventually learn to give the advise of stay away from a product if you dont understand it. Shorting is not for novices and even after a few years of trading I still wont touch futures,SSF etc. I dont think the "get rich" mentality that many a newby comes to the forum with.

007 - from your question you seem to be a novice so take the best advise you will ever get here from ALL of us. STAY AWAY FROM TRADING PRODUCTS YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND! Rather be a woosy (keep you cash safer) and trade normal shares for a while to get to understand the markets. Buy cheep sell high and use the prfit to buy cheep again when the share drops. Learn everything you think you need to, ONLY then start a paper trade system for shorts, longs, calls, puts etc. If you can make paper profit (and be 100% honest with your self on your system with buy and selling).

Now you can either take the advise and loose alot less, or you can be a typical newby (like everyone here was at some stage myself included) and jump in and pay your school fees with big losses to your cash. Your choice!
0 Kudos
Mr_Money
Regular Contributor
Here i am , why?
0 Kudos
Mr_Money
Regular Contributor
Here i am , why?
0 Kudos
doomsdayza
Super Contributor
I always get the impression on this forum that there is a stigma attached to shorting. If your view is downside then go short. You lose the same amount if your view is wrong regardless if it's long or short.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
the sigma point is fair enuff .. but largely because the shorts wanna short while the bull is running .. most of the short talk was a month back, which was way early ..
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
Just a word of caution, on entering a short at this level where there's a 300 - 500 point GAP, may hurt when the dow opens. Also, we sitting on a key retracement of the recent rally ... just a few things to think about.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
i have been using a site calle wwww.tradingguru.co.za with great affect
0 Kudos
venice
Super Contributor
saash got good points here this is a good level to expect a bounce. J
0 Kudos