Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

BRT > P/E

JimMorrison
Occasional Contributor
Can anyone care to explain the historically very low P/E on this share? What other issues exist besides liquidity?
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
kicc
Frequent Contributor
BRT is more of an investment company than a pure active profit generating company - thus the valuations are difficult to do but it is a classic case of the sum of the parts being worth more than the current share price. If you value their underlying investments (ie Fisheries, Insurance and all BEE holdings such as MTN, LHC, OML, Nedbanck etc) then must try and get into this share. Due to the nature of investments - it may take a while to unlock value but if prepared to wait - then can reap the rewards.
0 Kudos
JimMorrison
Occasional Contributor
Thanks for your great reply. Do you have any comment on the quality of the insurance or healthcare businesses?
0 Kudos
kicc
Frequent Contributor
I am holding LHC basically due to my holding in BRN and BRT 0 but with NHI and CC investigating - there are concerns but would prefer LHC but will wait for the uncertainties to be removed. As for the insurers - i am in OML and MMI and belive both will run - again if you hold BRN or BRT you would have some exposure to OML.
0 Kudos
JimMorrison
Occasional Contributor
Thanks again kicc. And Oceana hit a new high of 8500cps yesterday. I'm holding on but worth keeping an eye on LHC.
0 Kudos