Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

BUYING CHANCE

Not applicable
This share is looking good for buying, any reasons why it has been ignored last weeks gains? Thanks...
0 Kudos
22 REPLIES 22
WES
Super Contributor
strength of the rand to the dollar
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
it's a gold mine ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
it was a gold mine, now it is a series of holes in the ground, a labour factory, a nationalization target, and many other wonderful things. And they have to hire more labourers, and pay them more, to keep the nationalization hungry guys off their backs, and they use them to prop up the existing holes, and dig new ones. And then the sprinkle little bits of gold dust around - around 4grams for every ton of rock that the labourers bring up from under the ground. Only it is not actually pure gold dust - it is more like chemically infused gold like derivative that they have to extract by using copious amounts of cyanide and other wonderful healthy stuff. Which they then pump out into dams - and then have to spend more money to remove the healthy drugs that they have put into the water, so as to make the joint departments of mineral affairs, water works and the dept of handmeouts happy. And now comes the really good part - they then have to go to Eskom and say - I need a bit more than a couple of hundred megawats worth of uniterrupted power (500mw should do), at last years prices please, so that I can melt my 4gms of gold dust into a bar of pure gold. Please cut off the greater JHB municipality, or put them on rations, so that I can capitalize on the bargain that I am getting for the rand/dollar price for my product. If this sounds like a formula for making money to you - then explain the rest of the investment world, so that they can open their eyes and finally come to realize that a PE of 50 is really a bargain, and that they should buy more!
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Never forget that they get to close down an entire mine when there is death. A death that is usually not the fault of the mine. Yet taxi's wipe-out thousands a month in the course of their malignant enterprise; and suffer no sanction as a consequence. Yes you can trade these and make money - but look sharp - because chances are that you are trading a falling knife.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
So this is not so much a "Buying chance" as it is a case of buying "Chance."
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
AND I trust old Simon was NOT suggetsing tht this is a metaphoric gold mine - but simply restating his dismissive attitude toward these shares.
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Hehe,nice explanation,Threshhold.And yes,the meaning of "its a gold mine" seems to have changed!
0 Kudos
FEK
Super Contributor
You guys simply have the most fabulous sense of humour, on the positive Anglogold has mines in other parts of the world as well.
0 Kudos
Fredsed
Super Contributor
Heads up out of your soup plates all disconnected commentary-proffering bystanders, for real traders the jail break is already underway.
0 Kudos
FEK
Super Contributor
Educate me "what is a jail break" ?
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
READ CAREFULLY...! the above says "...you can trade these and make money" BUT who cares - you can trade progressive investments like AGL /BIL / ARI etc. and make money too. AND then there is the universe outside the resource counters. I just tracked a parcel of GFI from R96! Pure risk but had some fun and made some money.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
ooohhh you fell for it - hook line and preverbial sinker. We haven't had a fredsed rant for many weeks now! You must have been momentarily off your guard (lol)
0 Kudos
no_money
Contributor
i.e., the share price is on the run, I assume. Note that Freddie's free advise to John (May 20) was: "Below R107.00 is the zone for a long GFI. Be a good upstart and put everything you have on it". I assume John would have been insolvent by now.
0 Kudos
Yatagan
Frequent Contributor
Well put, Skaaptjop. But, can you honestly deny that somewhere in the past there was a family member of yours that directly or indirectly benefitted from the wealth that the gold mining industry brought to South Africa? I think it probably applies to most of us...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
well I got a very nice wedding ring out of the deal! But seriously, past performances for gold mines has no bearing whatsoever on my decision wether to invest in them. They are way way way past their sell by date.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Doc Roffey will disagree there with you.Lol
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I am not saying you can't trade them though - that is a separate matter entirely. But I struggle to see how you can be anything but short with a chart like that?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
There are companies that offer more value for investors other than gold..if you really want to get exposure buy gold rather, I don't have figures on hand but I suspect one would have gotten a better return doing this..
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
WELL Goldfields, for instance, has fallen over 40% in nominal terms in the last 10 years. probably close to 90% in real terms. During that time the nominal Rand Gold Price rose by over 550%. There is always the possibilty that gold shares begin to outperform after 10 years of underperformance - so I would never short these things - but I certainly batle to build an investment case for them.(ANG, with less SA exposure, faired much better but still trailed the ALSI hopelessly.)
0 Kudos