Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

BUYING SHARES

Not applicable
I've always heard PE is the way to go when deciding what shares to buy. Anyone got any other suggestions?
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
PE is part of the puzzle.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Is there any other part that I can use? What graphs whould be handy to use when deciding what shares to buy and sell?
0 Kudos
DCTrader
Super Contributor
Use tarot cards and before any trade I consult with my Sangoma... he throws the bones and gives me the go ahead. 37% return so far using him.
0 Kudos
ABuzz
Super Contributor
I use the SFM price charts quite extensively. Good to plot Moving Averages (various periods depending on your investment strategy) They also have a lot of other good indicators and plotting tools like Bollinger Bands, Stochastics, Volumes etc. it is worth going into this and studying it for a while and once you are familiar with what each one is giving you then apply them to real trading situations. Do your own homework and "play" with them a bit before you invest using their "guidance" as they are only tools and the better you know how to work them the better they can work for you!
0 Kudos
Taurus
Super Contributor
And you realy felt good when you made that reply?????
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks DC. Send me his email. HAhaha.
0 Kudos
DCTrader
Super Contributor
G, wasn't being sarcastic. Just implying that trading aint an exact science... But I'll consult my moral and ethics handbook before considering any further replies...
0 Kudos
DCTrader
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Dabbler
Occasional Contributor
Interesting question, but here's a thought...the P:E ratio we get on this site, is it a regularly recalculated ratio, or just the one using the price as and when teh results were last releasaed? That could have significantly changed since. I generally rework my own P:E ratios, although not scientific and then use it to compare between possible investments in the same/similar category e.g. Murray & Roberts, versus Group Five, versus Raubex, versus Grinaker etc. I use it as one of a few selection criteria for deciding on a share to buy. Furthermore, I always try and get results around the same time as occsioanlly some companies have widly varying year-ends and their results are not fairly comparable, so rather use an annualised 6 month figure if it's closer. I am interested in other comments on this and also to see what else people use to determine a good share to watch and possibly buy-into.
0 Kudos
numnuts
New Contributor
Hi Abuz Could you please explain to me your SFM method, as I am interested in finding new methods on how to buy shares. Were can I find this info?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
great site for TA's chartschool.com for beginner in tech analyses
0 Kudos
dimitrius
Regular Contributor
RXYZ, if you want to use PE ratio to invest your money, then you should be looking at all the fundamentals available, and not just the PE. I also wouldn't be using the PE on the SFM website. Calculate it yourself over a three year period. Then also take a look at other fundamentals. Once you're happy that a company is undervalued, then use simple technical analysis to time your buy. But if I was you, I wouldn't just use PE ratios. They're not a good enough guage. If you want to jump in and out daily, then forget the fundamentals and trade with technicals only.
0 Kudos