Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Back after a terrible trip

Not applicable
Hi all, i am back (not that I think anyone noticed anyways). I went away last week-end for my anniversary trip to a game lodge in Hekpoort. Been there a few times before and enjoyed the peace & quite.
Well lets say I have found a new way to NOT ENJOY A SHORT TRIP AWAY!!!
Will post full story in a while but just to say Hi
0 Kudos
37 REPLIES 37
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Hozit I noticed. good to have you back, the forum had rigamortis while you were gone and there is a mail in your in box.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
So the story goes:

I would like to tell you about what happened to us on 26 March 2010.

We went to a game lodge in Hekpoort (called Plumari / Askari) for our wedding anniversary we only went for Friday 26 March). We were in a chalet quite a way away from the main lodge. At about 01:30 in the morning I heard rattling at the door and because we were in a game lodge, thought that there were monkeys at the door so I turned on the outdoor light and opened the curtain. At the door was a south african indiginous citizen with a gun who demaned that I open the door. I had to open the door because it was a glass door and could have been smashed anyway and then the guys would have probably been even more angry and agressive.

I told my spouse it was an armed robbery and to get out of bed. There were two guys, one with a gun and the other with a knife. They ransacked our room and asked for cellphones and wallets. I told them that everything we had was in our overnight bag (in that bag was clothing and my spouses hand bag). Fortunately our cellphones and wallets were in the safe in the room, which they did not know about. They took the overnight bag, the handbag, our camera (and while we were walking to the car ripped a gold chain from my neck - My spouse bought this 9 carat gold chain for my birthday over ten years ago).

They got quite angry because they could not find cellphones and wallets and I (quick thinking) told them that everything was in the car. I was hoping to get them out of the room and into the open so that perhaps (AND THIS WAS A BIG PERHAPS WHICH WE FOUND OUT LATER) someone would hear the commotion and help us.

They forced us out of the room and to our car (which is about 200 to 300 metres from where the chalet is and directly past the main lodge). They told us to open the car (the key was in the safe) and I told them the keys, wallets, cells etc are in the main lodge safe (saying it is the lodge's rules that when we check in we leave the stuff there). They then said they would break the car window (we both said go ahead because then the car alarm would go off an surely someone would come to our aid??).

They tried to break the front passanger window and didn't have success so they moved to the back passenger window and used rocks to break the glass (it took a while because of the anti smash and grab). They then threw me into the car and told him to find our valuables (at this stage we were both extremely stressed because we actually had nothing in the car). I then remembered that we had an envelope filled with antique SA money that we forgot about in the glove compartment (My step father passed away earlier in the year and we went to Poffader for the funeral and collected some small memorabilia - this envelope being one). I give them the envelope and I told the guy with the gun that it was all our stuff. While this was happening the guy with the knife had gone to the fence to cut a way out.

While I was in the car, my spouse had hands clasped at the chest (out of absolute fear). The guy with the knife came up to and pulled at the left hand and asked what we were hiding (he had a wire cutter so I though he was going to cut my spouses fingers for rings etc). He also patted her down to make sure.

The guy with the gun was walking away with the envelope and then turned around and shot at us (I was sitting in the car right at the door he shot into and my spouse was right next to the back wheel). The bullet hit the back passenger door (the bullet got lodged in the door hitting brackets - I tell you God was watching because if the bullet had gone through the door it would have hit me in the chest). We don't know who he was firing at because 30 centimetres either way it could have hit either of us.

The guys then both ran to the fence and I shouted at my spouse to hide behind the car. The guys then turned around and asked I what we were hiding. My SPouse stood up, showed hands and said nothing. They then ran away.

We ran to the main lodge knocking on windows, screaming for help and no-one came. I then remembered that we saw two other guests at dinner (two young girls). We ran to their room and they let us in and we used their cellphones to call the police and emergency contacts for the lodge (BTW two emergency contacts were on a fishing trip!!).

We later found out that the only security at the lodge is a young guy who opens and closes the gate (he is not armed nor does he have any training).

The police came very quickly and the photographer and finger printing guys also came qucikly. The police suspect an inside job (so do we). The police also suspect that we were targets because we speak english and probably sounded like tourists.

We were both calm and I think that it helped the outcome. We were both bare foot and had cuts (me on my feet and on side from been thrown into the car). The guy pulled out the window and we don't know if he got cut or not but given the way the glass shatters, it is almost impossible not to have been cut. We went to the emergency clinic on Saturday and we have been put on a 28 day course of Anti Retro Virals (possibly the worst medication I have ever had to take - the symptoms are nausea, extreme headaches, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, dihorea etc).

I am telling our story because it is theraputic and also in the hope that if you every find yourself in the same situation (I pray to God it never happens) that you can take something from our ordeal to help you.

A TRUELY PROUDLY SOUTHA AFRICAN STORY!!!
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Sorry to hear that CPS. I guess thats whats in store for people who visit SA for the world cup. SA invited them over only to feed them to the criminals.
0 Kudos
Levitt
Regular Contributor
What a terrible experience. Luckily your still with us. All the best.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
WOW CPS. I am glad you are still with us and are at least physically oK. I would consider raisng this issue with the tourist board and other agencies. I really pleased you are ok, but I suppose keeping an old cell and an old wallet with a a few n oted in is a good idea if you can that and a bigger gun!
0 Kudos
SKALA
Super Contributor
Very happy that you are able to tell us this story; sorry it happened to you and now you are part of the statistcs. What truely upsets me is that in most of these situations the victims are sumerely shot. That is why I carry a handgun and keep one on hand at night, so does the wife. Learn to use your gun and be mentally ready to use it; do not hesitate. Gun Free SA and the SAPS who try to disarm the public only assits the criminals. Sterkte boet.
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
'n Boer sonder 'n roer is 'n dooie boer - ET. Translated it means that a whiteman without a gun is a dead one. Unfortunately, owing to his criminal conviction, he was stripped of his...but fortunately you survived this ordeal and should now get one.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Really sadening. Its like living in a warzone.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
So sorry to hear about your ordeal CPS. It sounds absolutely aweful. Thank God you and your wife are ok.
0 Kudos
warhippo
Super Contributor
CPS, what a horrible experience and sad story. Glad you and your wife came out of this alive. My admiration goes out to you sharing this with the forum. Instead of commenting on the political and sosio economic situation in our beautiful country (which I am sad I dont live in most of the time), my suggestion is that you also talk to a proffesional person dealing with these type of traumatic experiences. It might sound silly but for the sake of your wife and then yourself you might find that closure would come sooner on what happened, instead of the two of you getting over this by yourselves. All the best man.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks guys, been for a few sessions of trauma councelling. Like someone said, sounds silly but is really helping, especially my spouse who has not slept (or at least not had more than about 2 hours a night even with sleeping tabs) in the last two weeks.

BTW the cherry n the top is we were home on Easter week-end and about mid-day we heard a car stop outside the house. We were not expecting anyone so I went to check the gate through the window, and would you believe it, two ******** were trying to lift the gateof its rails and open it!!!!

I was really pissed at this point so I grabbed the gun and was actually waiting for them to get into the property!!!!.

My spouse called the security comapny and police and they arrive pretty smartly. Unfortunately I think they heard her calling so ducked before security got there.

The gate however is extremely heavy and secure, designed not to be lifted of the rails.

I have since installed wireless IP cameras that detect movement and send an email to me everytime something walks past them or sets off the motion sensors with full colour pictures. Upgraded the security system and switched security companies (after our orriginal armed response unit arrived unarmed). Their excuse they have not recieved their new gun liceneses back so they are not allowed to carry weapons....... WTF?????

AFRICA I LOVE THIS COUNTRY, I HATE ITS ..... well it could be worse I guess?
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
Cry the beloved country - what future,what hope is there - how can we live like this? Happy to hear you're okay.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ja, I think at these plat prices, IMP is still marginal - OST research says it needs plat prices at above R116k per ounce for it to be cash positive in all its operations. - it currently has a PE of around 60, so as soon as there is even a sense that the plat price is stabilizing or turning down, investors will start getting out, I think. But since the plat price is steadily climbing - and the 60day average rand plat price is well into cash positive territory for IMP, AND CLIMBING!! I am keeping my long in place.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ja, I think at the rand plat prices 2 monhs ago, IMP was still marginal, but - OST research says it needs plat prices at above R116k per ounce for it to be cash positive in all its operations. - it currently has a PE of around 60, so as soon as there is even a sense that the plat price is stabilizing or turning down, investors will start getting out, I think. But since the plat price is steadily climbing - and the 60day average rand plat price is well into cash positive territory for IMP, AND CLIMBING!! I am keeping my long in place.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hi CPS, really sorry to hear about your ordeal, and more importantly that you guys are OK. I am interested in the IP cameras you have installed. Can you update on how well they work, and maybe send some details?
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
CPS, glad to hear the bullet did not reach you and that you and the wife are fine albeit traumatised. It might be a good idea to book off another week and take a holiday......these things normally need a little time to let the dust settle.
0 Kudos
Wino
Super Contributor
Gee CPS. Sorry to hear about your ordeal. We have enough stress in our lives but, as South Africans, we have to deal with the additional and burdensome stress of worrying about our security. Whenever I travel o/seas, when I get off the plane it feels like I am walking on air and realise, that the burden of worrying about my security is much lighter then when I am in SA. I wish you and your wife a speedy recovery from the trauma you have experienced. Talking about alarms, I find that a sprightly mutt living inside the house is a pretty good option as a hell raiser often frightening would be thieves away.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
ok - how on earth did this post get here?
0 Kudos