Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Back after a terrible trip

saash
Super Contributor
Not a great experience, sorry that your love of the country had to be so horribly disturbed. Sounds like a really interesting security system you managed to find!
0 Kudos
Alonzo7
Frequent Contributor
Glad you both are OK - keep well & all the best going forward.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Skaap, they actually work blooming fantastic. I have set it up to email/send me snap shots every 5 min (can do it any time though from 1 min upto xx hours), this allows me a timeframe if something goes wrong at least I have a 5 min window to work with. Additionally it is set-up to send motion detection and this triggers when motion is sensed every 1 second, again you can set the sensitivity.

I am fine tuning the night vision part but that is still pretty good so far. Additionally this can be linked directly into my alarm system so when motion is detected an alarm signal would be sent to security company and the cameras can even send them a full colour (day time) or BW (night time) pic so they can decide to respond in an emergency or not.

It is a system that I bought demo units when I was overseas last time to look at. They are auto zoom and you can control the zoom and pic quality remotely over the internet if you have ADSL connection. Upgrade is a GSM (SMS and remote cell control via WAP) etc. very high tech stuff but stupid friendly;-)

I have a contact in China that makes these things and now I have been given the insentive to test them. So far I am very happy and I am actually looking at importing these cameras for the local market.

Like johns idea I might look at investors to bring this idea to the market, any takers???
0 Kudos
Ashley_1
Occasional Contributor
Glad you guys are ok CPS.
0 Kudos
Edge
Frequent Contributor
sorry to hear about your ordeal! It makes me angree and sad. We need to bring back the death penalty and the right to defend oneself with extreem force. Hope speaking about it helps. All the best!!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
well enough of the fear building how about a solution...check out this link met the MD last night, sounds like its a good place to start...http://www.unashamedlyethical.com/Home/default.asp
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
sorry this was meant for the other thread.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Geez thats hectic! This is how quick things happens with Criminals in this country: I was returning from the Argus (cape to KZN) on 19 March 2010, and as a last second decision, we (Girlfriend and I) decided to stop at George - Dolphins view point to take photos. When we stopped there, there were other vehicles and "tourists" around. For some reason (and the only time i dropped my guard)i forgot my wallet and cells on the floor on the passenger side (& laptop hidden under blankets in the back) in my car as we expected to be very quick. My car was out of sight for 3mins as we photographed from the opposite side of the highway. We returned to find my car had been broken into and cleaned out a bit. It seems the *****s waited for the other vehicles to leave and took a chance by driving to my vehicle, blocking the traffic view of them smashing my side rear window by parking between my car and the highway and cleaning out my car a little. (We are sure we saw the silver golf that did it leaving but unfortunately realised to late that our car was broken in to and therefore didn't get the number place!!) 3hrs later the *****s were shoping 300km away at CNA in Port Elizabeth! (unfortunately we spent a hour at a police station been given the run around by a black constable until an afrikaans guy came to give us the correct forms etc. A hour head start given to the crooks!!) As my Facebook status say, I'm sure the criminals are practising for 2010.... then again, with the way Julius is going, will any internationals arrive to support their teams?!? As i said to friends, I must have slipped up for some reason leaving my stuff in my car which probably prevented a more disastrous outcome.
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
sorry to hear about your ordeal but i think most South Africans have a story to tell, we were robbed twice at gunpoint in our store, the second time we were cleaned out, and had to sell what was left, took a 500k loss, am now emigrating to france, in about 12 to 18 months time.
0 Kudos
warhippo
Super Contributor
People very kindly feel and sympathize with you, but if you havent been a victim of this type of crime you will never really know how it feels to be intruded upon like this.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Now that is the most honest answer I can relate to.

There is a huge difference between being held up at gun point (gun kind of flung around the room and waived at everyone) or being shown a partially concealed weapon (as in a mugging etc) and induced to co-operate and the fact that a gun is held under you chin and within a split second could mean the end of your life, the way I experienced it.
Your thought is to protect your family, but more importantly to get this volatile situation diffused so you can make split second choices to get out of the situation.
You know what really pisses me off and my spouse pointed it out as well. The sympathy and although meant in kind and is a social form of expressing regret, The support offered and the assistance given by friends, family, and even strangers is great and is not frowned upon nor merely waved off, but is very upsetting. Please do not think I am ungrateful for the feelings and sentiment but the fact that we have come to expect, and accept to live with the statement "at least you are alive and OK", when did this become acceptable?

We should not accepting this as normal!!!
Surely as a nation we need to actually start getting together and standing up for our rights and showing that we actually are not willing to tolerate this anymore. We have capitulated to many times and our complacency as South Africans is disappointing.
0 Kudos
SKALA
Super Contributor
OK, so in detail what must we do? Please be spesific.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
How many times have we been to a restaurant and accepted bad service? We merely get it over with and walk out vowing to never return. If we do not speak about it the problem persists and actually gets worse.
I make an absolute point of bringing bad service to the attention of the people in charge no matter where I go.
Not to be rude but to ensure that I get what I am paying for and then ensure the experience I get is what I expected when I planned to go there. I really could not care less if the poor little waiters feelings are hurt, get into the real world and start claiming responsibility for your own actions. You choose to give carp service, you choose to be lazy, you choose to be complacent, you expect rewards for your efforts and blame the rich customer for not leaving you a decent tip. Only you can choose to do something about it.
A typical scenario, you order drinks and inevitably someone will order a glass of water. How many times has that glass of water arrived without asking for it again after every other drink has been served? I recently started making a point of immediately deducting a portion of the tip I was going to pay and tell the waiter about it. They then choose to improve the service or continue with the same service or even choose to give worse service.

Start with the simple basics, Rudy Giuliani had a simple idea and was opposed at every turn until it started working. Punish every infringement, no matter how small. He dropped new yorks crime rate by 45% in a very short time!!!

You choose to ignore or shut up about the person littering, the person dropping a chips packet next to the bin a and not bending to pick it up to throw it away properly.

I recently picked up a can thrown from a car window I witnessed as we entered a shopping centre. I followed the person to where they parked and handed it back to them and asked that they discard it properly. They were so shocked that they were caught out they actually made a point of going to a dustbin in the centre to throw it away.
0 Kudos
fusion12321
Frequent Contributor
if i own a restaurant i wont serve cheapskates a glass of tapwater either. use some of the R30m and buy bottled water next time your at the spur.
0 Kudos
quovadis
Frequent Contributor
So sorry to hear about your ordeal CPS. Regrettably its depressingly symptomatic of the times. Was a time not that long ago when one only knew somebody who in turn knew somebody that was a victim of a crime. Now almost everybody has themselves been a victim. Asylum's idea has much to commend it. Been in mid-France for some months on a sabbatical. There's not even petty crime here. Asylum let me have your email address ... it would be interesting to have a word.
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
CPS. Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Glad you can tell the story yourself and we didn't read about it in Sunday Paper. From a legal; side I think the lodge owners are grossly negligent in not providing any security. Consider a claim. They should be insured for that.
0 Kudos
Izinky
New Contributor
Really sorry to hear about your ordea CPS! Hope you guys make a full recovery.
0 Kudos
Izinky
New Contributor
Really sorry to hear about your ordeal CPS! Hope you guys make a full recovery.
0 Kudos