Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Bafana Bafana

HiSo
Frequent Contributor
As a side bar, I just want to say, hats off to Bafana Bafana for the way they played last night. I think its the best I've even seen them play. To hold off Brazil for 87 minutes and to attack the way they did was good to see. I think they did SA proud on the field and hopefully they can get back at Spain on Sunday for the earlier 2-0 defeat. I still think we missing a good striker though, someone to finish off the moves that the midfield starts.
0 Kudos
28 REPLIES 28
Galuc
Super Contributor
And an enjoyable experience as a spectator, took 3 youngsters with me just watching there faces was worth it all. The park and rides are still a bit of a hiccup but a vast improvement. Then again I have been to a couple of games in Europe where the organisation was 10 times worse than ours!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
was amazing, we actually deserved to win. They should be proud!!
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Absolutely. To me, the major benefit is that it's given them great experience, which will stand us in good stead for 2010. And maybe pulled a few of us into watching soccer more. Has anyone got 2010 tickets? My first ones didn't go through.
0 Kudos
djw
Regular Contributor
Lets put it this way - *****a is worth more than the Staduim and he has another 10 mates to help. BB total annual wage bill (Excluding the Coach ) is probably a weeks of *****a salary. So yeah hats off and bring on Spain.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I ran out when the winning goal was scored, got in a taxi and was one of the first to arrive at the parking lot. traffic was a breeze back home,... Id rather not talk about getting to the parkig lot, 1hour I moved 5km.
0 Kudos
_Marco_
Frequent Contributor
Went to watch the game myself and i have to compliment bafana on their performance, it was superb. Tactically they had brazil cut out and it could have reli gone either way. Have to agree with u on the point that we lack a bit of fire power up front. We kept getting the possesion upfront, unfortunately Parker was left alone crowded by 3 defenders in the box. Being a small man didn't really help his case.. otherwise all in all hats off, good performance and definately gained the nations respect :)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Bravo to Bafana!!!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
As an ardent soccer fan, but not local soccer, I am eating my words today, Bafana were totally committed last night and on that performance I am now a bafana fan, well done boys now go and beat Spain on the weekend.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Good strategy keeping some extra in defence though. Those Brazilians are seriously dangerous! After their goal they had a few very close ones.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
F*ck Santana and Mokoena, after all Walter Mokoena was right about them. Why did he delay the substitution, f*ck Modise as well he cost the team as well. Big ups to Booth, Tshabalala, Masilela, Gaxa, and Khune. Santana must go period. The performance was good, and big ups to that but we all know that for one to win a game the must be goals that must be scored, so if we can't score, we might as well kiss the world cup goodbye. Once again f*ck Santana, Mokoena and Modise
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I think that I will start watching soccer and releaf from being a bookworm. Go Bafana Bafana!
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
Mbuzi, watch the language, might get banned!
0 Kudos
WBuffet
Contributor
Bafana had a fantastic match, one of the best performances I have witnessed in years. The problem is we lack a quality finisher. Hope Benni has had serious introspection and recommits to the cause, the country definetely needs him.
0 Kudos
HiSo
Frequent Contributor
I agree that we need a good striker but I don't think Bennie is the man for the job. He's got a huge ego problem, lacks discipline when it comes to his country and he thinks he's greater than the rest of the team. What ever happened to guys like Nomvete and Zuma. They were much better than the guys we got now.
0 Kudos
AJDK
Frequent Contributor
Zuma has done well for himself. He is president now! lol
0 Kudos
AJDK
Frequent Contributor
I do not know too much about soccer, but how do you guys work??? Bafana lose agains Spain who is like a multi time world championship team with some of the best players in the world. We, who are almost nobody when it comes to international soccer, lose against them after putting up a very good game, and the first thing they say, is fire the coach! Now we lose again after a very good game against 5x world champions and the coach must go. He is the man that brought our team to a pont where they actually have a chance at winning these brilliant teams we are facing! Whoo would have thought we can go up against a team like spain and even think about winning?!? My hat off to him for what he has done in the sicumstances of language and cultural differences. Once again only my opinion.
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
Yup, it was great to be there! The flag waving drive to park, the walk to the ground, the joyful multihued fans-of-fans (ie those not having tickets) in Yeoville, the buzz in the ground, the vuvu's din (quite lekker in the stadium), the play of both teams, the mellow vibe afterwards - all round proud to be a South African!
0 Kudos
Jemaiks
Frequent Contributor
We do have strikers and actually too many of them, no need to look further than the unions, doctors, bus drivers etc.
0 Kudos
_Marco_
Frequent Contributor
It was part of SA's match strategy to keep the defence crowded and leave the striker up alone. It was the best way to approach a game against brazil and If we changed the tactical system and played with more guys upfront brazil could easily have won this game 3-0 like they did against the other nations. Against a team like brazil who are known for their pace and aggressiveness up front, SA definately employed the right tactics . If 1 or 2 of the opportunities that we had were actually converted SA would have won this game. I don't see why people still critisize coach joel santana.. since taking over he has done a wonderful job. Correct me if im wrong, but before he started coaching SA we were about 10 games without a win? Comeon.. stop critisizing.. we are improving slowly and we earned a very respectful result last night.
0 Kudos