Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Banks. Having a good day

platsak
Super Contributor
See Financials are having a good day. Can it be that the market is maybe pricing the possibility that Tito wont punish us again in August?
0 Kudos
43 REPLIES 43
pirates
Contributor
they having a great day,i only have financials so i hope they can hold onto these gains and its not a flash in the pan
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
Ja thats due to the investec report about the inflation figures being over inflated.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
an ugly retail sales data, again suggestign maybe no rate increase in august.
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
lol.In this case bad news is good news.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
I only have banks, construction and retailers and they are all green for once what a difference it makes to your mood im actually being nice to everyone today.
0 Kudos
BRE
Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Don't wanna spoil your mood...Take profits from this rally, go on a holiday and come back next year and invest at half the current prices. ;)
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
Tempted Wizard. But there seems to be really good volumes and a shift out of resources.Oil a little down and speculation of no further rate hikes could actually trigger these sectors
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
That's what the rally is about...longer term the DOW is in a Bear market and that is what the banks will follow
0 Kudos
pirates
Contributor
only one way up for banks now ,will be double in 12 mths time
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Every time there is a little rally and those predictions come out...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
lets hope this continues ......
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Wonder if Investec will be selling bank shares tomorrow
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Wizard, what are you shorting then?
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Funnily (not ha ha ) i bought FSR last week as i felt it was the only share coming up to its final.Banks have had a rough time on local interest rates as well as regulations.A great many people are wondering how the ALSI can go down and banks and property up.The final catylist of course is the interest rates muddle.Well now the question is how long can banks continue going up....Methinks until their PE Ratios are on a par with the rest of the large caps ,some where around a PE of 14,then they will behave the same as the rest of the market.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Barry, what time frame do expect that the banks will more than double in price?
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
gee u keep me on my toes,with difficult questions!....it will depend of course on wether Tito buys Investec's version,then i think it will occur rather quicker than we think,perhaps a couple of months to reach parity otherwise it could take the entire summer to catch up to the rest of the market.Remember that the banks wont have to double their PE ratio the way things are going as the Resources and other shares are getting cheaper by the day and are likely to come down to the banks level much sooner.Then the market is more likely to move as a whole.i see a fairly long recession in the States.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
I'm not shorting anything right now. That turn around was never far away...
0 Kudos