Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Banks are cheap!

DEP
Super Contributor
BANKS' 2008 P:E FSR=7% ; SBK=8.1% ; ASA=7.7% ; NED=7.2%... THIS MUST BE THE CHEAPEST SHARES AMONGST THE TOP 40... am I missing something?
0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
asylum
Super Contributor
yep and next week theyl be even cheaper.
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
I get a feeling there is going to be alot buy back from the guys that have gone short on banks!
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
when the fed runs out of points to cut to keep the market afloat and they have weakened the $ to such an extend that its not worthwhile making new dollar investments, and the subprime and housing foreclosurers escalate,and job reports are weak and so on and so on. whether our banks are cheap or not i believe that if the US markets go down it will drag the jse by the hair kicking and screaming to let go and follow it down the same path. hey but thats just me thinking out loud , what the heck do i know.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
In Europe the banks are even cheaper. ING, BNP, FORTIS, SANTANDER etc The banks were overpriced here and are now at a reasonable level but not cheap.
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
So what are you buy then?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
DEP, the banks are very cheap, our banks are not exposed to the credit risks the American's face. Furthermore FSR have many other businesses, eg Insurance, does should in theory not be exposed to any sort of international subprime meltdown. Unfortunately, there people put there that think according to your fellow forumites responses to your question.
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
steelhead what are you trying to say, last bit is a bit vague.
0 Kudos
Big_Bucks
Super Contributor
I think Steelhead had a bit of a liquid lunch...ie. mumbojumbo
0 Kudos
Copper
Regular Contributor
Everything looks cheap at the moment..but people arent falling over themselves to buy. Theres a sale on and no ones buying.. ominous methinks...
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
yes the summer clearence is not cheap enough!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Consider this: we have been brainwashed into believing that a cheap stock price is less than 12 times earnings. This means that a company is worth 12 times earnings (net profit - which is also rather vague and subject to window dressing, a nice term for manipulation) as its share value! The company is actually worth its net asset value plus a premium for knowledge capital inside the company. Should that premium be worth 12 times? Obviously there are premia to be paid, but I feel that we are way out of the ball park at the moment. People move. The assets stay.
0 Kudos
INTTHEMONEY
Contributor
GOLD GOLD GOLD SIMPLE THIS MARKET STUFF I WANT TO CAHNGE MY NAE TO GOLD FINGER
0 Kudos
Electrox
Super Contributor
Think of it this way, If These prices are on such a great sale, why arn't supply of these cheap shares running out? obviously there is still plenty of this cheap banking stock lying around and until we see big opening gaps up, the sale is still on.
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Shaun_Siddall
Super Contributor
Overseas sell off. Investec PLC was +-85% owned by none south africans back down to 40% huge sell off. When it listed it was around 20%. Dont quote me on the exit %'s was in out of the conference during his speach.
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
Lets say they market runs again (hypothetically of course). Which will recover the fastest of the Banks. My money will be on Standard and thereafter Firstrand.
0 Kudos
Shaun_Siddall
Super Contributor
Averaged down quite a bit with Standard Bank. I think RMB and ABIL are good calls as well.
0 Kudos
Electrox
Super Contributor
banking and retail stocks (even property maybe) have to be top of the lists once the interest rates start to come down and U.S credit crisis becomes yesterdays news.Value in these sectors are cant be ignored then. I picture this as a 100m sprint race, everyone is just waiting for the gun to go off then the rest will follow.There may be a few false starts but that will be the sign that the race is about to start .OMO.
0 Kudos