Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Banks

louisg
Super Contributor
It was in fact Rothschild that said it. Mark Mobius reported in his book Passport to Profits that there is a second part to Rothschild's quote -- one that is perhaps even more impressive and intellectually inspiring. Buy when there's blood in the streets, "even if the blood is your own."
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
My question is why be around when the ***** hits the fan.. that is my point if you are never on the thin edge of the wedge you are never the one bleeding and at worst its a flesh wound. Making it easy to buy when there are great buying times.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Ya, but John you can't time the markets. Long term investors almost always make more money than traders. I'm with louis on this one and if he sticks to his plan he'll be rich in 10 years. IF he sticks to his plan.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I absolutly agree..however everybody is a long term investor until the market tanks!!! And everybody who is in a *****py share always says I am a long term investor. You can be a 100% long all the time and still be active as an investor.. that is exactly what I am working on..Relative performance...As yet over 50 years the best you can do is the index. So unless you can come up with a 50 year stratergy that can beat the index don't be an active investor period.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Excellent point John. My mom has a managed portfolio (BOE)and it's done pretty well. But she got a large sum of cash just after STX was launched and put it all in there. Guess which has performed better.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
what I don't understand is why these funds don't just buy satrix top 40 and pretend that they are active. That way they can at least be honest about trying to get the best for their clients. This is what my email to you was about.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
out of interest there were 25 bad years for equities between 1900 and 2007 thats nearly 1 in 4 and the bad years were often very very bad.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Cos then a whole lotta bankers would be outta work. Of course at the moment a whole lotta bankers are outta work (snigger).
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
john, globally fund managers are moving to ETF's. Put say 90% into STX40 and use the remaining 10% to try and beat the index, if you fail overall you do well enough (well only get beaten by a little). Locally fund manager have very very small exposure to ETF's. Was at a ETF function last night and they all bemoaned this fact, but there is a sense that it is changing, but slowly, very slowly.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Ya, but conversely there were some good years that were very good. And sure, I'd love to only be in the good years and cash out in the bad. But, while you know I'm very smart, I'm not THAT smart.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
rich in 10 years!!!!my word that's a long time to wait...10 years,wow
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
And that, my dear little tyler, is why there as so few rich people.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Hey B thankfuly I am, now I am convinced you gonna need some of my snake oil.. Cheap for you only 100 a months and 5% of your profits
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Sold! I've got R75 I was gonna spend on pizza - let's double it!!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
No problem buy the pizza from butlers on WED they give you 2 for the price of one. hence doubling your return.. that will cost you R3.75 and 4 slices of pizza
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
LOL! You are a f****** genius. Let no one tell you different.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
LOL guess every Dog has his day and every man his day in court.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Geez trust a banker why dont they just tell their clients to take 90% of their cash put it into an eft and let the "Pro's" mess with the rest. that way the cost are serriously low.. the upside is the short potentials when a share falls from grace.. beautiful..
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Thanks babe! why would anybody say anything diffrent!!
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Ya, let's get this straight. You take your clients money and charge them a percentage of profits. You then put all the money into STX and go off for lunch, hire the strippers. . .
0 Kudos