Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Barking and biting interest rates!!!

G_V_V
Super Contributor
Dear Mr Mboweni, Yesterday you gave a speech in which you compared interest rates increases as having the desired bite on the inflation of a economy. You said that barking has not helped when in fact you have increased rates several time. This metaphor you are describing is reminding me of that infamous news clip of the apartheid police letting the dogs loose on black people, do you remember? What you are doing now is barking that you will let the dogs loose on a whole economy, which I believe have strayed because of the false information that the inflation was ever within the inflation target. How could it have been possible that the inflation was ever within the target when house prices were going through the roof, my rates have more that doubled unjustifiably of which an objection to date has not been rectified. Stock market have also more than doubled of which banking stocks have suffered a huge down fall due to the barking you so savagely have described. I believe that if the interest rates were gradually increased four years ago when the false illusion was believed that the inflation was within target and banks therefore were not misguided in their lending--a runaway inflation would have been avoided and these big bite interest rate increases you are warning avoided. The fault can not just be blamed on the misinformation given but to the world economy at large. Rocketing oil and resource prices, food shortage, global warning are but a few concerning matters that are not doing any good for the real inflation numbers. To avoid a full recession the USA has lowered interest rates to all time lows, there is no justification in the South African economy to now increase interest rate to the levels that you believe will lower inflation. To the contrary, biting deep into the economy with high interest rates now will only give it gangrene. The rate increases that were implemented months ago take time to filter through and the last increases are not yet shown in the numbers you have at your disposal. Yet we all know that the inflation on the housing sector is in deflation, not to mention the motoring, finacial and retail sector. So why are you barking at the South African public because of the oil price, when you should be barking at the Arabs for not turning open the taps wide enough to quench world needs? By turning open the oil taps more wider will also help to cool off the speculation that has driven the oil futures market in the direction of a one way bet. I hope that you and your colleges understand what is really going on in the economy and should take advise from professional business men and women who have businesses and are in the real economy. Yours sincerely, Giuseppe Vittorio Vitali.
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
G_V_V
Super Contributor
Besides gangrene I should also say rabies, which is contributing to xenophobia.
0 Kudos
Picky
Regular Contributor
yip agree, but think tito uses psgonline trading site
0 Kudos
duke_vest
Frequent Contributor
i feel you GVV. i think what you just said sits on the minds of millions of South Africans. however i think you have only scratched the surface of the problems we are facing now. i think we are heading for a serious chain reaction which will utterly collapse our entire economy. i also hate being pessimistic. but i think the one big problem nowadays is that noone are realists anymore, just optimists hoping for the better. did it get any better zimbabwe? if one looks at the oil prices, interest rates and our beloved eksdom for one, where will it lead us? look at the building industry and how many people in our country survive around the building industry. take the industry away and what is left? increase in unemployment, people losing their assets they worked so hard for, and probably still owe a ***** load to the bank, banks failing due to people not able to pay their bonds, lack of business confidence and the failure of businesses around this sector. i see it first hand everyday and speak to many who are directly hit by this. i wouldn't be surprised if this is linked or contributes to the latest xenophobic attacks. and for those of you that think a recession may be coming, i think we are already in it and to blinded by political garbage not to see it.
0 Kudos
CrownA
Super Contributor
Has no-one in Tito's office heard of peak oil? There is nothing anyone can do to increase oil production, not even the Arabs. How can Saudi report every year for the past 10 years that their reserves are exactly the same figure. Saudi and the others cannot produce anymore oil - so interest hikes can never fix inflation. The factors are outside your and my control. They should bring back where you could only buy petrol till Saturday noon, and then only buy on Monday. Also, I seem to remember you could only buy petrol from 6am to 6pm weekdays. Fuel restrictions need to be put in place, so if you forget to buy petrol, sorry for you - you can't go to out! I remember the trips to Durbs on a Friday evening where you had road blocks outside Van Reenens Pass, where you were stopped and searched for hiding a 5 litre petrol can, and you were chasing to make it to fill up before the 6pm curfew - bring back the old days. I think the government should be cutting it's Energy Fund charges on petrol, as it was intended to help counter high prices - do you think you will ever get that back. Start putting oil down the unused mines, etc.
0 Kudos
duke_vest
Frequent Contributor
the problem with that is that there will still be some clever government official who will corrupt the system and skim and bribe for himself. they are everywhere else already: in parliament, hospitals, schools, metro police, etc. and i don't need to name names. you could probably name one out of each department just off the top of your head.i forgot to mention corruption now now in my previous comment
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Well, besides the sky falling on our heads, I'm having a really nice day. You?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
the vacuous and ignorant have few worries...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hello Chartist my pet, how are you today?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
... while the government controls fuel prices, the only ones that smile are the tax man and the petrol station owners selling yesterdays fuel at todays prices...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Vacuous:::> Unoccupied, idle, indolent; not filled up with any (profitable) employment or activity
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks, Jimmo - in my ignorance I thought Chartist was paying me a compliment. Silly me. I'm never going to ask him how he is ever again.
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
What if there really is not an oil shortage. That this whole thing is political Arabs showing their muscle and timed it to go with the credit crunch in the States - kick the dog while its down and all. Lets say the yanks put pressure on the Arabs now by saying to them no more arms sales till you to release ACTUAL reserves and reduce prices. One announcement and the price plummets from $130 to $90 overnight. what then? Does Tito suddenly make an about turn?
0 Kudos