Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Barloworld The BIG Question: Buy or Bye?

Mr_MTX
Occasional Contributor
Great Results, but will the share price follow suit? Whats your take? ( Oh and last week Tuesday someone purchased shares to the value of R19 million in the company.) Could that be a sign of great things to come ?
0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
Preston
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Mr_MTX
Occasional Contributor
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Hotstoxx did a report on BAW the other day - the video is probably available as on ABN digital now.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Buy into an industry where there will be growth. Interest rate cycle will ensure that the Banking industry will do well.Why focus on "ZIM barlow"?
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Mr MTX, how do know that the trade in this share was a purchase?What about short covering or worse just a short?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
an Hot Stoxx was one hot and two not ..
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
yes Simon, very confusing this buy and sell and price issue. If the market is made up of just traders, what moves the share price or index
0 Kudos
Not applicable
what is so confusing? In order to buy a share, someone else has to sell? Seems pretty straight forward to me?
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
So buyers are matched to sellers, so can there be more buyers or more sellers, or can bears ever be in control or can bulls ever be in control.So what moves the share price.....share volume is fixed.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
I found Hot Stoxx to be extremely boring and very uninformative unlike the positive energy that flows from Paul V from Mad Money. He is extremely funny and Highly opinated which is good for the show. Simon ,also try not to strain your eyes when reading the market cap, PE ratio. It does look extremely disturbing. Just honest feedback.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
OK, I see what you are grappling with, but you are not going to be able to measure bull/bear forces by looking at a single big volume trade. If someone was shorting at that point, obviously someone was going long at the same time (else who bought the stock?). In bull markets, there will be more people intending to buy, and less people intending to sell, so prices will be driven higher. You cannot measure intention by looking at the trade that went through - because at that point, intentions are neutral. Traders try to use all kinds of techniques for measuring intention - e.g. if the closing price = high then it implies that the buyers are still out there, because people where still to accept the higher prices.Naturally, there are dozens of other tricks
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Ok, same explanation I got from several others, and if thats true, then trading the price does not help, because if prices are going up and you want to go long, based on upward move in prices, you could just as well be short because there was a seller....
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
I usually allocate that time watching a pre-recording of "SAKE MET SUMMIT"
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Hotstoxx is great - I just wish it went on for a touch longer, so that Simon and Eleni could spend a bit long on each share. But take nothing away from Mad Markets either.
0 Kudos