Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Bear Stearns

TheoPrinsloo
Contributor
Hope this is not a stupid question but why does JP Morgan have to bail out Bear Stearns instead of using the $200 billion that the FED announced just a couple of days ago will be made available to financial institutions.
0 Kudos
24 REPLIES 24
DST
Super Contributor
JPM & Fed are close, very close. They are probably doing it very together, with a preponderance of JPM chutzpah and of Fed risk absorption. (remember the post-Saambou type of arrangements here?).
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
This is about as low-risk as it gets for JP Morgan Chase... a couple of days ago, Bear was trading around $50/share. JP is now picking them up for $2/share, and the Fed is backing them up, saying they will lend any of the banks an unlimited amount of real dollars and take any old cr@p as collateral.
0 Kudos
TheoPrinsloo
Contributor
looks like FED saw the trouble and then decided who it wants to buy Bear Stearn. JPM was the winner. Fishy!
0 Kudos
TheoPrinsloo
Contributor
Anny comment on how hard this will hit our banks today!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
$2 thats unbalievable..I thought they lost half their value. On Friday they were trading at R20 somthing if I am not mistaken...Geez imagine the losses to Joe Soap Minor investor.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Yes, Jamie Dimon (CEO & President of JPM) is also one of the directors of the Federal Reserve of New York.
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
$2 may not be as smart as it looks, in that the $17bn(i think) loss takes away a bit of market cap, and JPM must honor the debts. ING thought buying Barings for a pound was helluva sexy - until they spent a couple of years seeing what a crock of "value" it truly was. I spose the extent of the lifeboat ex FED is the decider.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Ben doesn't have a life anymore! Feel sorry for his wife. Wait until the other banks report on Wednesday!
0 Kudos
Shaun_Siddall
Super Contributor
Fed's money only available end of the month. Bears needs funds ASAP, heard $15 is the going rate - i think the share is suspended so all the previously wealthy directors have lost most there wealth. Scary stuff...
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
This is the deal of the century for JPM -
"JPMorgan's acquisition of Bear Stearns represents roughly 1 percent of what the investment bank was worth just 16 days ago"
and "JPMorgan was most interested in buying Bear Stearns' prime brokerage business, which completes trades for big investors such as hedge funds"
and "After days of denials that it had liquidity problems, Bear was forced into a JPMorgan-led, government-backed bailout on Friday. The arrangement, the first of its kind since the 1930s, resulted in Bear getting a 28-day loan from JPMorgan with the government's guarantee that JPMorgan would not suffer any losses on the deal" Brilliant move on the part of JPM, in my opinion
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
oop, I made a bold instead of break tag. Sorry!
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I really think JPM well managed - i like Jamie Dimon's management style.
0 Kudos
Shaun_Siddall
Super Contributor
Flip $2 is the deal - that is incredible from $50 plus on Thursday...
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
yep, and from a high of something like $160 not so long ago
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
This is the first time a major on wall street has collapsed since the 1930's.
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
LTCM was considered 'too big to fail' and got bailed out some time in the nineties by the Fed and the rest of Wall st. Bear was the only major bank who did not partake in the bail-out of LTCM. I'll bet the rest of the banks are gloating at this failure and at how quickly the wheel turned for Bear.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Ita amazing that the brightest finacial minds on wall street are unable to avert a self inflicted crisis. Personally I am sitting here gloating, while they are losing billions I am making cash..
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ltcm trades actually netted a profit, but the liquidity crucnh couldn't met margin calls. Bears couldn't access the $200billion from ealier int he week as theya re not a bank, hence the fed laoned JPM who then use dthat money to help bears.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
tango, bears worth zip today, certainly nobody ever going to take them as counter party risk, so no more deals/trades. Also value mostly in IP/staff - and they are fleeing. Beras will do an Arthur Anderson on us and be gone one day soon enough.
0 Kudos