Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Bear market or correction?

asylum
Super Contributor
The US markets are down by about 10% which normally constitutes a correction if that is so can we expect a short term bounce on the Dow or are we entering a Bear market with more down side. Any views.
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Wumpus
Frequent Contributor
Who knows... but I'm short...
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
Did you see that the dow dropped like a stone in only the last hour of trade apparently due to remarks made by AT&T and then rumours Countrywide filing bankruptcy (disputed by Countrywide) .The market seems to be reacting more to any negative comment than positive comment which i suppose is what bear markets do. 8th straight loss day for dow - not good. OMO but i think we have hit bear territory until at least the fed announces rate cuts.
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
wumpus you dont have a view but youve gone short anyway how did you come up with the decision to go short then?
0 Kudos
Wumpus
Frequent Contributor
Hi aslym You caught me with my hand in the cookie jar... this was one of those "impulse buys". I was mostly in cash yesterday, but bought TOPSBZ (with gamble money) just before the close of the market (when we were 1% up). Although I must admit that I am a bit short-term bearish at the moment with all the negative sentiment and the fact that markets don't react to good news. I'm planning on selling very soon and then remaining in cash until all this fog clears.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
US markets have been in a bear since around 2000.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
what worries me is how fickle the us sentiment is that they are looking at talk like that whilst most business are still fundamentaly intact- i am quite sure that they are insured against non payment thus limiting their losses to around +- 3% ie the charges of the insurer as well as rate increases- i get the feeling that they have been caught with their pants down or hand in the cookie jar??
0 Kudos
Not applicable
LN. This is something that always confuses me. Just because there is a stock market crash, why should this lead to a recession? I guess it's because suddenly there isn't so much liquidity floating around and therefore people "feel" that there isn't more money, although people are still getting salaries and are still spending. Or maybe it is because there isn't lots of debt availability and therefore spending slows down. If this is the case, then it just shows you that in this day and age to make money there has to be borrowing, althought that doesn't mean that we need to be net borrowers :)
0 Kudos
org
Super Contributor
These things are best explained by free articles at www.gold-eagle.com,technical analysis section.The bull markets TIME is running out.also see rense.com.Natural cycle, I say.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
org...dont be an idiot now.....the site you are referencing ad nauseam has an agenda....they push the doom and gloom cause it favours gold....
0 Kudos