Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Beating the market

J12
Frequent Contributor
An interesting thought... Has anyone here consistently "Beat" the market? If you have, do you have any tips?
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Not applicable
Dont take any unnecesasry risk. All about risdk management, and you will come out on top. And dont listen to all the media hype and stuff. its very easy to get sucked into thinking the market will always go up. But if you can make any easy 15%p.a. in the bond market relatively risk free. This is mainly from an investment perspective. if you a trader you should be able to beat the market easily with some leveraging and a good system. For an investor look for the highest return and minimal risk and you will beat the market over the longer term. When times are good...Take on more risk. When times are bad take less risk. OMO....My 2 cents worth, but than again what do i know, i jsut a kid hehehe Enjoy and good luck!
0 Kudos
J12
Frequent Contributor
Thanks. I'm new to this so I'm not sure what I should expect. To all the technical analysts, what's your monthly return (on average)?
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
Average return is not what you want to know. Say you start with R100, then have a month up 50%. The next month, you go down 50%.

Your average is zero/flat/square/even, but WHAT HAPPENED TO THE OTHER 25 BUCKS?
0 Kudos
Electrox
Super Contributor
Hi J12. Think about this.. Even if you are 70% accurate you can still loose money from trading,but there are traders(3% of them) out there with proper and diciplined money management principles that make money by only having a 40% acuracy rate. The point is you rally have to assess your own position when deciding on entering the stock market based on sound management principles, your account size, and risk:reward ratio's. Cause at the end of the day the house always wins.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
DST please drop me a mail. [email protected] I would like to chat to you off piest.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
LOL thats quite funny. The extra 25 bucks is lost coz of the different base you using but am sure you knew that already :o) I suppose when we talk return we should always use a scale that is fixed so like a peranum basis. So if u put R1000 lats year July and now you have R1500 than ur return is 50% p.a. This way the 25 bucks neva gets lost and u wont think u were meant to be flat. OMO hehehe
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Before I forget. When working with percentiles you cannot say +50% less 50% means its square. That is mathematically incorrect. Percentiles dont work the same way simple math works cause its ratios. Hence always be weary when people talk in percentages cause its easy to grow a million rand company to 2 million rand in one year but is it really that easy to grow 700 billion rand company to a 1,4 trillion rand company???? I think not! There simply isnt enough capacity for that. OMO
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
Getting there.

Your near use of Latin reminds me of a school who sent out a typo advising that "... ... and so fees will have to be increased to 2400 pounds per anum ... ...". Most parents just paid up meekly, but one cheeky and accurate reader asked if it would be OK if he continued to pay through the nose!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Most honest traders take a hammering,you probably will as well.If you cannot afford to lose it all,find another hobby...
0 Kudos