Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Being neglected in gov hospitals

Not applicable
My wife's uncle had be diagnosed with pneumonia 3 days back and with no medical aid landed up in a Government hospital and pass away yesterday, What I don't understand is the fact that he looked fine before interring the hospital, with understaffed nurses and doctors with his 3 day in hospital I was told that he had been neglected ... now my question is can one ask for the medical records for his stay while being in hospital or will I be fighting a losing battle? Advice needed thx
0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
Preston
Super Contributor
Someone that is a close relatives to your wife uncle can ask for his medical record. From past experience,these guys will try their best to cover up their mistakes.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
So you have been through this P ?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Being neglected is one thing but having no bedding in a hospital ?
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Yes,the problem also arise that it also interfere with mourning process.
0 Kudos
annie3
Frequent Contributor
as a registered nurse i know that medical neglet is very hard to prove. was the patient placed on a drip. did he receive iv antibiotics. there r various factors to be taken into consideration. sorry for your loss.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thx Annie ... thats what we are trying to find out ... everthing just happened so quick
0 Kudos
tangot
Occasional Contributor
I agree with Annie, proving negligence is going to be very difficult, lengthy and expensive process. Prepare for a 5 year fight. But too many people die unnecessary in our government hospitals. Aunt or children must get copy of the file with a written request. Either work through a lawyer or make an appointment with the CEO of the hospital. Be prepared to pay for it. I you have a doctor friend he can look at the file and give you an opinion, otherwise your GP might assist. If you think you have a case lay charges at the Health professions council and / or Nursing council. It will take 2 years or longer to get back to you but at least you will have some answers at some stage. From there you can decide to lay civil charges or not
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
Hennie, condolences with your loss. Nothing, however, will bring him back and nobody will accept any culpability. Negligence, filth, theft of equipment and squalor are par for the course in an African govt. hospital...to be avoided at all cost! Viva transformation.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hennie, I know the pain all to well. My mom died as a result of govmnt hospitals. She fell ill and for weeks they sent her for test after test after test. She had to travel over 400km every week to get tests done. Nothing conclusive and eventually they operated and then she came out with a colostomy bag???. Doctors never said why or what reason. She died three weeks later and we found out (actually summised as we never got told) agressive cancer. Same thing about doctors not caring (during the last strike in kimberley hospital 2006). Unfortunately we took the decision to let things be as the fight would be to long and painful for the family and proof is always a bugger. Doctors stick together like molassis on a warm blanket.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
CPS, sorry about your mom. The problem with gvt hospital is that they use these newly qualified doctor to treat you,effectively those patient become "lab rat" and secondly there is also increased delays in test being performed and presentation of test result. Question to the Forum? Q1)Is there any country that has an excellent hospital system? Q2)Surely SA can incorporate those business model rules into our current hospital system? Q3) If the answer to Q2 is "No", then what is the limiting factors/constraints.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
cuba has one of the best health care systems in the world ..
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
samoa
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
When not in SA, im in a smallish town in Ontario. They have a nationalised health care system here that seems to work well, and from what ive seen, the hospitals are 1st class. A LOT of the "properly qualified and experienced" health care professionals here can speak fluent Afrikaans...strangely enough.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Sorry for your loss! The goverment hospitals realy need financing, they are very little, have few beds and there are even very less medicines especialy drips needle. When I was hospitalised, I realised that actualy the staff is expected to perform miracles without even the simplest meterial.I slept on the floor waiting for a bed. Sorry for your loss!
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
Makes you wonder why the hell we still have to pay tax to this Govt.
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
Somebody has to fund the R380m SA pays for VIP protection annually - always make me wonder who and what these "leaders" are so afraid of? An interesting aside is that only R220m is spent on securing our porous land borders!!!
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
hennie - fax me 0866155024 your contact details with the following info - where she was hospitalised, patient no, ID or DOB, ward no.
0 Kudos