Hi, I'm being transferred outside SA, the way things are looking I would probably leave SA for 4-5 years. I may never return or I could be back after 4 years. I will continue to have rental income in SA but no other income. I've been advised to sell my home and taken all my other moveable assets with. I need advice on whether I should close my share account or should I continue to invest on the JSE. Any advice? Are their advisers I could speak to?
My wife and i moved a year ago (with a company) and also not sure when we will be back, but we are renting out our house - got a corporate rental, but I still do not like it (do not like the hassle factor, i.e. geyer or plumbing, etc). It has however helped my wife cope, as she feels she still has roots in SA with some sort of "security". From the perspective of providing her with peace of mind, I would make the same decision again in a heart beat.. bottom line, do what suits you and the family, often it is not only a financial equation that should drive your decision..
Thanks everyone, AJT where are you now? We are transferring to Addis Ababa. We have three kids all at school who will be transfer to the international school. In terms of roots, we have most of our family here. We hoping sell our primary home and continue to rent our second property. Should we return we can return to this smaller home. AJT please mail me at [email protected] with any advise you have.
I have also lived abroad, and then come back. What I can say is this - there is an old saying in the industry - once an expat, always an expat. My advise is that you should not liquidate your assets locally yet. You should only do this once you know what to do with the proceeds i.e., when you have a clear idea of a better place to invest your money. In a place like Addis, you might find fantastic real estate investment opportunities (it is a massive growing market - I am a bit jealous, I have to say). But, if you are earning $ then you should also be able to qualify for dollar based loans. Whatever you do, don't sell up just yet, always good to have a fallback option