Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Being transfered

Jim_Bean
Regular Contributor
Hi, I'm being transferred outside SA, the way things are looking I would probably leave SA for 4-5 years. I may never return or I could be back after 4 years. I will continue to have rental income in SA but no other income. I've been advised to sell my home and taken all my other moveable assets with. I need advice on whether I should close my share account or should I continue to invest on the JSE. Any advice? Are their advisers I could speak to?
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
warhippo
Super Contributor
There are quite a few options and a lot has to do with family,ie. married etc. Also where you are locating. Leave me a contact mail.
0 Kudos
AJT
Super Contributor
My wife and i moved a year ago (with a company) and also not sure when we will be back, but we are renting out our house - got a corporate rental, but I still do not like it (do not like the hassle factor, i.e. geyer or plumbing, etc). It has however helped my wife cope, as she feels she still has roots in SA with some sort of "security". From the perspective of providing her with peace of mind, I would make the same decision again in a heart beat.. bottom line, do what suits you and the family, often it is not only a financial equation that should drive your decision..
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Make a clean break. Open an account with internaxx.com.
0 Kudos
Wino
Super Contributor
The grass always looks greener on the other side. Move first, settle down at your new place of work and home, then decide, especially if family are involved.
0 Kudos
Jim_Bean
Regular Contributor
Thanks everyone, AJT where are you now? We are transferring to Addis Ababa. We have three kids all at school who will be transfer to the international school. In terms of roots, we have most of our family here. We hoping sell our primary home and continue to rent our second property. Should we return we can return to this smaller home. AJT please mail me at [email protected] with any advise you have.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I have also lived abroad, and then come back. What I can say is this - there is an old saying in the industry - once an expat, always an expat. My advise is that you should not liquidate your assets locally yet. You should only do this once you know what to do with the proceeds i.e., when you have a clear idea of a better place to invest your money. In a place like Addis, you might find fantastic real estate investment opportunities (it is a massive growing market - I am a bit jealous, I have to say). But, if you are earning $ then you should also be able to qualify for dollar based loans. Whatever you do, don't sell up just yet, always good to have a fallback option
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Where did you live? Why did you come back?
0 Kudos