Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Berkshire Hathaway

Goldbull
Frequent Contributor
If there is one book you read this year this is the one: THE SNOWBALL Warren Buffet and the Business of Life, first published 2008, author Alice Schroeder. You have to pay your dues if you want to invest in the stock-market. This books spells it all out for the reader, essentially it is a biography of Warren Buffet and extremely well researched and written. Buy the book and see it as an investment in your education and save a bundle along the way.
0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Its an excellent book - i read it in December 2008...
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
its about 500 pages to long
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
why, dont you like to read? the whole book is very enjoyable to see how one of the richest men on earth functions, his logic and how be built his fortune...
0 Kudos
warhippo
Super Contributor
Kindle version from Amazon.com available at $10.03
0 Kudos
Alonzo7
Frequent Contributor
Goldbull, are you sure that you have the correct Title of the Book?? I agree with John, BUT it is exactly 830 pages to long (to be precise)!! Happyyyyyy reaaaadddinnnggggggg
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
GoldBull is acurate with the title - the book is not too long for someone geniunely wanting to learn something about how Warren Buffett operates. This book provides huge insight into his whole organisation, how it was create and what principles are applied... and stories about the man behind the legend... great read!!!
0 Kudos
Alonzo7
Frequent Contributor
I gave up on continuing to read this book as I reached Chapter 49 " The Angry Gods" on Page 597.Wow!! I really became bored (this was in December 2008 already) - have not touched the book since then. (I still have 233 pages left to read) & don't think I have the energy. I must admit that I find " The Intelligent Investor" a very very interesting read by Benjamin Graham with new commentary by Jason Zweig.
0 Kudos
suki
Super Contributor
on this one i agree. I read Alexandra's book many times.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
ya turns out warren's mommy did not love him so he has to hoard lots of cash to make himself feel special.. what more did you need to learn, I think that came out on page 12!
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
The intellegent investor is an awesome book.. i have the original text version... Securities Analysis also by Ben Graham is very interesting as well, but also such a big book like The Snowball...
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
you really dont like this guy, hey? Just and observation (i didnt know where to post it, it might not be relevant to this thread)... You know people always tend to complain and say how certain peoples strategies are outdated and dont work, etc. I came across this in 3 guys i read extensively about, 1) Warren Buffett, people think he is too old and his approach doesnt work (rubbish), 2) Jamie Dimon, people said that he is loosing out by not participating more actively in the sub-prime market and the associated derivatives, look where that got him (worlds most admired banker), 3) John Paulson, people said his method of doing in-dept research was outdated and he was too old with lots of young hedge fund managers outdoing him (look where those young guys are now and where he is)...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
it was the 7 page description of thier holiday cottage that tried to kill me .. but I won and stopped reading ..
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Goldbull, it seems like the guys on this forum arent such fans of Warren Buffett... Thanks for the comment though. I really enjoyed the book...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
oh I like Buffett plenty .. just not that book .. much prefer 'making of an american capatilist' ..
0 Kudos
Goldbull
Frequent Contributor
The Snowball is an excellent read I'm on page 523, Chapter 46: Rubicon. Have I learnt anything? ...Damn sure hence the posting...unit trusts were my forte...now I can mix it with the best.
0 Kudos
zwi
Occasional Contributor
It's a good book, i bought it this morning, i am on page 56 and i love it.
0 Kudos
zwi
Occasional Contributor
It's a good book, i bought it this morning, i am on page 56 and i love it.
0 Kudos