Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Best investment options available

Roboren
Occasional Contributor
What do you think would be the best place to invest a some of money (say R 1000 000)? I see Capitec would give one 10.5% interest. Would this be a good option or are there better options out there? I would be looking at low to medium risk investment options but I am realy stupid when it comes to these things and there are just to many sharks out there (local brokers :/) when asking for help! Any ideas as to what I can look at will be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Galuc
Super Contributor
Satrix40 was the best advice I got and has been pretty good to me.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
In the meantime i would suggest you put your money in a safe place whilst you getting the ins and outs of trading. Invest in books and when you think you ready you can start by trading using about R10 000 just to get a glimpse of what's happening. NB do not invest with your emotions, if u miss an opportunity misses you the market always has many opportunities daily. If you a long term person you can start with unit trusts and money market accounts
0 Kudos
SkarlakenKoos
Frequent Contributor
For low-medium risk, I'd really recommend a good Money Market investment. You could always diversify between a money market fund and a basket of long term shares.
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
Roboren, I would invest as follows: * 30% SATRIX RaF; * 20% Property Unit trust (go direct, no commission); * 20% Offshore UT * 20% Gold ETF (new gold) *10% trading acc. with SFM
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Im not a big fan of Unit Trusts, high upfront costs, as well as annual management fees. Satrix is the low cost option, and STX40 tracks the index, which is ideal for a percentage of your overall portfolio. Further you can diversify into other ETF such as Gold (GLD), Financails ETF, Resources ETF etc
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
There is ways of bypassing the upfront costs!
0 Kudos